1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,210 Posts
this stuff is especially popular in my town and also in most of germany. balkan beat box have been here but i wasn't there. i've been to countless balkan beat partys and concerts of other balkan bands and that's why i am not so interested in the style any more. just doesn't do too much for me any more. live concerts are usually great, though. i cannot say that the hiphop+ balkan+ ambience +x sound in the first video above really gets me going, but i would try and see them live anyhow if i got another chance.
i have seen shantel, fanfara kalashnikov, ziveli orchestra and others and last week i missed a concert by very famous fanfare ciocarlia.
if you like the above, boom pam and boban markovic are also definitely worth checking out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
everyone wants to claim the good bands - I thought Balkan Beat Box was a NYC band! Regardless, Ori Kaplan (the sax player) put out an AWESOME CD in 2002 called Le Magus. Great balkan/klezmer bari sax playing with great songs and great production. I brought Ori's CD to my sax teacher to say I wanted to know how to play like this and my teacher, Roy Nathanson, said that Ori was his student!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everyone wants to claim the good bands - I thought Balkan Beat Box was a NYC band!
Well, they are a NYC based band though all 3 founders are Israeli and they often sing in Hebrew, so we can say we're both right in a way.

Regardless, Ori Kaplan (the sax player) put out an AWESOME CD in 2002 called Le Magus.
I think I'll look in to that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts