Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom Ridenour, inventor of the ATG Reed Finishing System, has put up a series of videos in the last couple of weeks on balancing/adjusting reeds. In this video he discusses why this skill is so essential, telling a story from his time at Leblanc, where he was a designer. At that time they had a manufacturer make Leblanc branded reeds, but they were all unplayable out of the box. He visits the manufacturer in France and helps them fix the problems.

This is a very interesting story in light of the recent discussions here on reed inconsistencies (to say nothing of long-running ones!) Many folks have complained about paying many dollars per reed and still getting unplayable ones. This video may shed some light on that subject.

Full disclosure, I own the ATG system, but currently don’t use it all the time as I feel I can do more detailed work with just a piece of sandpaper. But I recommend it highly as it is almost foolproof (and there are a lot of fools around when it comes to reeds!) and the booklet and DVD that come with it are worth the price by themselves.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,202 Posts
Yes, Tom Ridenour knows his stuff. I have the ATG also since a long time ago.
Students that are interested in reed work all get shown the video and that is where we start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts