Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af306/jayehrgott/

I am going to look at this horn tomorrow and would like to know if this
lacquer is original, and also what is up with the solder around the bell, was this
a repair and what type? The horn has been repadded and I will get to play for as long as I like before
I commit, the price is $2k, all opinions are appreciated. Thanks so much for the help, Jay.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
It is one of those things... I don't think it is worth the money and BA alto's don't command a really high price anyhow. However, I kind of doubt anyone would sell one for less than 2k. In this case, it may not be worth the money in that for that price it will simply be very hard for you to sell if it does not work out for you at some point. Not a high demand for a highly repaired, relac frankenbalanced, but on the other hand it might play great and it is not likely to sell for less.. I don't really know. Unless it is really the horn for you I would not get involved with it at all, but if it IS well, is that your priority? Up to you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
BA owner here. If it plays as good as mine does, it is worth every bit of the 2K.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,826 Posts
in Europe any Balanced action alto would be worth more than 2K$ and a good one could be worth as much as 3000 € if not more (I agree that their price is not as high as Mark VI or SBA). The question of the lacquer is almost impossible to answer at a distance and even from a close inspection many experts have been know to be fooled. These horns were routinely relacquered in years past.

I would definitely bring up the repair of the bell while negotiating , something has been done there and would definitely put off any collector (so why bother about the lacquer anyway ......this ain't a collectors horn!). If you don't mind the ergo's and the horn plays well, this could be a very good buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts