Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Average condition, what would be a ballpark price range? I can find almost nothing online about these horns. Any information about these also much appreciated - thanks:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,445 Posts
Price = condition. Pics needed.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With all respect, an average VI tenor might go from $4-6K, that can be said without pics, even if the prices are changing all the time (about like the housing market here in northern CA, up up up...). Or a Conn NWII alto in average to good condition is going to range from 1500-2500. All I'm asking for. One site says a BA bari in good condition is worth $3500. I'm guessing that's low.

Has anyone seen a BA bari sell at any price in the past 5 years? What did it go for? There seem to be so few out there to gauge by.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
There's one in the marketplace section right now for sale that is in excellent condition (relatively speaking for it's age) and it started at $10k and is now down to $8500 - https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?348716-Selmer-Balanced-Action-Bari-Sax

My opinion is that is probably a pretty good price ($8500) for that horn but this time of the year is always a buyers market with people looking to pay Christmas bills and getting ready for tax filing. I just played two Mark VI baris at Sax Alley that had just arrived there, hadn't been worked on yet, and were just about playable. They're asking $4300 for the Low Bb (not worked on) and $7600 for the Low A once restored. My guess would be that your horn is likely in that $5k-$6k range if it's in okay playing condition.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Quinntheeskimo sold a s/n 20k one about 5 years ago for around $3,500. I was tempted at the time, but I'd just bought a Modele 26 Bari off him for about $1,300, so I couldn't justify the extra expense (especially because, I'm told that the respective body tubes {ie. their sound} is much the same anyway). Even with their MkVI model, Baris don't fetch as much as Tenors. [There was a time when some players/collectors would pay a premium for silver-plated early MkVI Low-A Baris, but like a lot of the vintage sax market, prices have fizzled somewhat in recent years]. Cheers...

[Hmmm. KeithL, I wonder if the one being sold by KevinSax is the same one that Quinn sold back then?]

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Quinntheeskimo sold a s/n 20k one about 5 years ago for around $3,500. I was tempted at the time, but I'd just bought a Modele 26 Bari off him for about $1,300, so I couldn't justify the extra expense (especially because, I'm told that the respective body tubes {ie. their sound} is much the same anyway). Even with their MkVI model, Baris don't fetch as much as Tenors. [There was a time when some players/collectors would pay a premium for silver-plated early MkVI Low-A Baris, but like a lot of the vintage sax market, prices have fizzled somewhat in recent years]. Cheers...

[Hmmm. KeithL, I wonder if the one being sold by KevinSax is the same one that Quinn sold back then?]
Could be I don't really know. I'm just guessing a bit about all of this. When it comes right down to it - it really depends upon finding the right buyer who's willing pay whatever the asking price is. You're right the baris have never realized the prices that the Selmer tenors have compared to modern horns. Most of the Mark VI baris I've played I would never have paid the asking price for. The Low Bb horn Sax Alley has there on consignment has a nice sound but really needs $1000+ in work to make it totally right. At that point considering all the repairs and wear I don't think it would be worth it for me. The Low A horn had a nice sound as well but was no better than my Yani B992 so you'd really need to want a vintage Selmer to justify it. The SBA baris I've played (only two so not a big sample) had a much more classical type tone to them - very cello-ish or bassoon like. The keywork is very light and quick so I could see these horns being popular for classical work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts

Hello Brenton
I think I played that Bari of yours a year or so ago.
From memory it was a very nice horn.
Was it a model 26 or a Super?
Perhaps with Bari’s they didn’t have the full range of models.
Nick.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hello Brenton
I think I played that Bari of yours a year or so ago.
From memory it was a very nice horn.
Was it a model 26 or a Super?
Perhaps with Bari’s they didn’t have the full range of models.
Nick.
Hi Nick, yep, it's my one remaining Bari. Silver 'Modele 26', s/n 7k range. I like it because it has a more comfortable rectangular G# (factory customized?) key than their normal round button, and it's keyed up to high F with a front F too, plus all those other trill keys that became slightly less rare that year (1927) than before, or since, it seems. Good to hear from you again. Cheers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts