Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Drake contemporary I model for baritone (.112"), unfortunatly I have to pull back way much the piece on the cork for close to perfect tuning, but it hold only by 1/2 inch. I can make an extension, but I found that in this position, the piece neck/combination are too long to be confortable. Beside that, if I take off some material in the high baffle (like the II model), can this help to push the piece more in front? The bari is a Buffet Crampon SDA 1962.
Thanks

·
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much! I think that a job I can't do myself, it's easy to dull the sound or make a mistake there or at least I have the feeling of... Beside changing the sound and in theory, do you think the baffle work can change enough the chamber size to put it more in the front? For the throat work do we are talking about double chamber?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,063 Posts
I think you are going to have to remove a LOT of material...too much..in order to make a significant dent in the position of the piece. I would personally go with a small extension if you can fashion such a thing...even if it is not super comfortable. You will be really disappointed if you make the piece sound tubby by removing too much material. Also, when you remove a lot of material the pitch becomes really super sensitive to tiny changes...it gets squirly in the intonation arena. Every piece, of course is different.

·
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank You both, maybe an other option are to sold it. Strangely, Berg 2 chamber fit well. The extension can be made by myself, but i'm a very short guy and the berg are limit, this is bad because it sound very good and it is very free blowing and in a certain way far less edgy than my bronze berg.

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
To get an idea of how much material would need to be removed, consider how much farther you would like the mouthpiece pushed on the neck to be stable. Lets say 3/8". So the volume of material lost is the volume of a cylinder that is 3/8" long and has a diameter of the outside of your neck cork (~3/4"). You probably could remove the entire baffle and still not gain half of that.

You might be able to make a mouthpiece extension using just epoxy putty. But it would be stronger if there was a metal sleeve involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts