Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there do a cover with their band?

The riffs are on tenor, the solo on alto. I'm not fast enough to switch...
When playing live how do others do it? All alto? All Tenor? Make the switch?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
All tenor. I don't bring my alto to the gigs.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Yeah, like I'm gonna do that with two MkVIs.:shock:

No way, the alto stays home.;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
i did it on all alto and at least i hit the high notes! not like the utube link above.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
super20dan said:
i did it on all alto and at least i hit the high notes! not like the utube link above.

I'm only 50/50, ok 10/90 on hitting the B...need to practice...now that grad school is done...i should have the time...

·
2,960 Posts
i used a runyon bionex mpc with plasticover reed . the bionex makes this easy. there is nothing else like it for this. you can jump from note to note like lenny picket with this mpc. the tenor version isnt as good but the alto shure is a smoker!. when my trumpet player band mate would get tired at the end of the night -i would switch parts with him and i would hit all the screaming high notes for him. easy on this mpc

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
What is the highest note there?

On alto I guess... is it a B4? (Being the first B on the alto the B1).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I had the dubious pleasure of touring with George in the early 80's for about six weeks. I did it on the tenor. It was all I had. We didn't get along. I didn't play it like the record. He never ever washed that stupid snake-skin jacket and I never much cared for his music either.

Er....at least I think that's what happened. Those years were a bit of a blur....anyway - play it like it's your own and don't worry about it. He didn't seem to...,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
I never thought there was much to that tune. That's kinda the point. Stay on tenor for the solo and just riff away. If you can hold a high altissimo note, end the solo on that.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
Are you asking how to switch from the tenor to the alto? If so, here's your answer: Put down the tenor and pick up the alto.

But as I (and others) implied earlier, it will sound better if you just leave the alto in the case and blow your tenor!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
ahhh, gorgeous george. i've always preferred the timbre of altissimo on tenor compared to alto. if you've got the top tone chops then stick with tenor. that or you could practice swinging the horns around...

·
2,640 Posts
If I was going to do this at that high level with a Bari and Tenor I would have two neck straps on for the whole song and have my horns on stands next to me and switch and put one down. If I had to go one horn to the next in a matter of seconds I would have a roady run out and clip it one for me:twisted: This is Pink Floyd right, that's about as big of a gig as you can get. "Get my bari sax tech!".

On the Bad to the Bone I would stick to tenor as well. I like the sound of altissimo more on tenor than alto.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts