Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of the last three Hemke reeds purely sucked. After using ever single reed right out of the box, except for one, of the past five boxes, this sixth box had two bad reeds, so far. They were totally out of character with the previous five boxes.
These two reeds came from a box with the little purple flag/logo. The previous five boxes were plain silver, no purple logo, and the boxes were a bit wider. This leads me to speculate that the purple logo box is current production and the reeds are being made, cut, whatever, differently. Either that or quality control has gone down the toilet.

It's quite a disappointment after using five boxes trouble free; I got spoiled.:cry:

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,450 Posts
I have a similar experience. Got turned onto them and now they seem to die after only a few uses. Having better luck with Javas lately.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I`ve had trouble with the tips on them. After not a whole lot of use the tips become ragged and chipped. I don`t know if its my mpc or what.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,450 Posts
That's what I'm dealing with. If it's your mouthpiece causing it, then mine are also culprits.

·
29,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh, I had "trouble" with the tips on Java; go figure....:)

All's not lost, I still believe in Hemke reeds. Things aren't quite as dismal as I previously stated. I got one of the two "bad" reeds to work. I had to balance/take alot off the rails and even some off the left center of the heart, which is a no-no. After all that sanding, that reed still has a strong heart, center to it. Maybe I can get the second reed to work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Hi Jazzbluescat!

I used Hemke for a period of time around 6 years years ago. Then, when I tried Alexander Classique (Tim Price suggested I try it) it was good-bye to Hemke. For me, Classique was a huge improvement. I then used Classique exclusively on all of my saxes and clarinets for around 3-4 years. But, given all of the doubling I do, I wanted to see if I could get Legere reeds to work for me. It took time & effort to adapt my chops and set up to Legere but I'm now happier with Legere than any cane reed I used in the past.

Classique and Gonzales reeds come highly recommended. Please give them a try and let me know if they work better for you than Hemke. I don't think that you'll need to spend anywhere as much time working on them.

Take care!

Roger

·
29,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roger Aldridge said:
Hi Jazzbluescat!

I used Hemke for a period of time around 6 years years ago. Then, when I tried Alexander Classique (Tim Price suggested I try it) it was good-bye to Hemke. For me, Classique was a huge improvement. I then used Classique exclusively on all of my saxes and clarinets for around 3-4 years. But, given all of the doubling I do, I wanted to see if I could get Legere reeds to work for me. It took time & effort to adapt my chops and set up to Legere but I'm now happier with Legere than any cane reed I used in the past.

Classique and Gonzales reeds come highly recommended. Please give them a try and let me know if they work better for you than Hemke. I don't think that you'll need to spend anywhere as much time working on them.

Take care!

Roger
Hey Roger!

Sounds like Legere might be similar to Vandoren blue box for me. They feel like exceptional reeds but I just couldn't get my chops up to them.

Is there a "big" difference in the cut of Classique and Superials(sp); I liked Superials but found that Javas were a better bang for the buck(lousy excuse, I know). Absolutely loved Gonzales and Zonda but ran into quality control issues with them.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion. I'll order a box of Classique with the next order.

·
29,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
re: Legere

I just found out that they're synthetic. The only time I've used syns was on soprano because I had to march. I usually balk at synthetic reeds. :oops:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Legere is the only synthetic reed I've tried that hasn't gone sailing into the trash can. I'm very picky about my sound. I can't stand bright & buzz. It has to be clear, dark, and resonant....exactly as with a high quality thick-cut cane reed. As I've mentioned on other threads, I put in a lot of time & effort to get to the point of being completely happy with Legere on each of my horns. Now, I'm glad that I did. I have FAR fewer hassles with Legere then I did with cane. It's definitely a liberating feeling!

But, I wasn't suggesting that you try Legere. They are not for everyone. Finding a high quality cane reed that plays beautifully and doesn't need much work is a great thing.

Roger

·
29,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger Aldridge said:
Legere is the only synthetic reed I've tried that hasn't gone sailing into the trash can. I'm very picky about my sound. I can't stand bright & buzz. It has to be clear, dark, and resonant....exactly as with a high quality thick-cut cane reed. As I've mentioned on other threads, I put in a lot of time & effort to get to the point of being completely happy with Legere on each of my horns. Now, I'm glad that I did. I have FAR fewer hassles with Legere then I did with cane. It's definitely a liberating feeling!

But, I wasn't suggesting that you try Legere. They are not for everyone. Finding a high quality cane reed that plays beautifully and doesn't need much work is a great thing.

Roger
Yes, I surmised that you were particular with your sound from some of your previous posts.
When I went to WWBW to enquire about Legere reeds and saw they were synthetic, I figured you were pulling my leg(nothing wrong with that). :eek:ccasion:

·
29,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't believe it, another "bad" reed. That's three out of four. I think this box got mis numbered. I bought 2s and got 2&1/2s or 3s. I worked one down to where I can use it, but, these others are really strong.
I found that I can sand just so much before the quality of the reed degrades.
Chalk it up to the cost of doing business, I reckon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Roger Aldridge said:
Hi Jazzbluescat!

Classique and Gonzales reeds come highly recommended. Please give them a try and let me know if they work better for you than Hemke.
Roger
Roger- I've been thinking about buying some Gonzales reeds for my son, but I haven't seen a reed strength chart with Gonzales on it. Please tell me which Gonzales reed compare to a Vandoren Trad. 2.5 or or Java 2.5. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
I can't believe it, another "bad" reed. That's three out of four. I think this box got mis numbered. I bought 2s and got 2&1/2s or 3s. I worked one down to where I can use it, but, these others are really strong.
I found that I can sand just so much before the quality of the reed degrades.
Chalk it up to the cost of doing business, I reckon.
I'd call Fred up or email him and complain!

http://www.fredericklhemke.com/

·
Registered
684 Posts
Stop smelling turnstiles laced with that old mechanical stained soul martini destroy my black table legged soul on the lamp post penmanship lacquered tube of the what's that he told her filter in place of where the heck did I put my cannoli?

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
DTExpress said:
Stop smelling turnstiles laced with that old mechanical stained soul martini destroy my black table legged soul on the lamp post penmanship lacquered tube of the what's that he told her filter in place of where the heck did I put my cannoli?
I want whatever you're drinkin', man. Methinks you're into the mind erasers heavily this Friday night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts