Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, when im playing my tenor, ive never had any issue with biting my lower lip. But, after playing my alto for about 5 minutes, I find im tearing open my bottom lip. Ive tried almost everything to not do it, and I just cant. Are the mouthpiece sizes causing this, what? Any advice welcome!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
I suffered terribly from this problem, untill I met a very enlightened orthodontist who sugested that I have my from bottom teeth strategically bonded to even them out on the front and top surfaces. I did this , and then did a bit more carefull shaping with 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper myself. I solved 90% of my problem this way. If I have three bloodbath gigs on consecutive days I will get a sore lip, but essentially I am cured. Its fast and cheap. You need to study your teeth and tell the dentist EXACTLY what you need and want.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
Biting is almost certainly (especially if you are proficient and expert on tenor) caused by an inappropriate match of a too large mouthpiece opening and perhaps too thick a reed for you.

Try a combination which will be allowing a more relaxex embouchure. A closer piece with a smaller chamber too and perhaps a thinner reed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
LateNiteSax said:
I suffered terribly from this problem, untill I met a very enlightened orthodontist who sugested that I have my from bottom teeth strategically bonded to even them out on the front and top surfaces. I did this , and then did a bit more carefull shaping with 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper myself. I solved 90% of my problem this way. If I have three bloodbath gigs on consecutive days I will get a sore lip, but essentially I am cured. Its fast and cheap. You need to study your teeth and tell the dentist EXACTLY what you need and want.

Years ago, I had (pretty much) the same thing done.
My Dentist filed down my bottom teeth until they were even and smooth across the front...with NO sharp edges.
My playing/tone improved immediately and I found I could even hit altissimo (s) easier.
Pretty Cool!......try it..you'll like it !

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
You might want to try EZO brand denture cushions. You just cut an oval shape patch that fits over the lower teeth, soak the patch in hot water to soften the wax and then form it over the teeth. It stays that shape providing a soft cushion for the lower lip and is a quick and very inexpensive alternative to dental work or having a dental appliance made.

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Charles Bay "Lip-Ease Teeth Cushions" are another good solution. They are available from wwbw for $6.50 or so, and work very well. They're a thin, flexible plastic strip. You cut off a portion, fold it and mold it to your teeth.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The suggestions for dental work seem quite heavy for a problem that could simply be attributed to a mouthpiece/reed combination. I'd suggest trying milandor's suggestion first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
remember is not the size of your equipment but what you do with it....:)

·
Registered
310 Posts
If I believe I'm biting too much, I concentrate on putting the pressure (for lack of a better word) on the top teeth... and holding the mouthpiece more with the sides of my mouth I guess.... something like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts