Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it drive anyone else crazy when you see a picture of a sax and player that has been flipped so everything is backwards? Drives me crazy!

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,598 Posts
!SEY

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
The ones I like are the pix of horns with the neck on backwards over the bell, the mouthpiece on upside down, “plays perfectly top to bottom “. Right. I’ll be right over with a grand in hand.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My Conn Chu alto was displayed in the window of the thrift shop across the street from me for a month with the neck backwards and mouthpiece upside down. Drove me nuts. When I bought it I found out the mouthpiece was bonded to the cork from being attached that way for who knows how many years. I imagine the last person to try playing it put it together like that, couldn't get a note out of it so threw it in the closet and forgot about it. Puts a dark spin on the expression "closet horn ". Easily fixed and that horn now has a loving home.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Does it drive anyone else crazy when you see a picture of a sax and player that has been flipped so everything is backwards? Drives me crazy!
I find it very disturbing. It also disturbs me that I become so disturbed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There are even flipped videos of saxes being played. Or are they left handed ones?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I play a nice wine bar once a month that has jazz art all over the walls... directly in front of me is an alto with the mouthpiece upside down... I stare at it all night!...every month!... for three years!!!... I think I might offer to buy it just to get it out of my sight.

Upon review... If this is the worst problem I ever have... it's been a great life.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Well, even today when hundreds of thousands of images of musical instruments being correctly held and played are instantly available, illustrators just refuse to look at them to see how musical instruments are shaped. The two that seem the most difficult for illustrators are the saxophone and the upright bass. I truly can't understand it. If you aren't sure how the instrument is shaped, why on earth would you guess rather than spending 5 minutes to look at an actual picture?

Also, models holding instruments grossly incorrectly. Again, if neither the photographer nor the model knows how to hold the thing, instead of guessing, why can't you look at a freaking photograph?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I play a nice wine bar once a month that has jazz art all over the walls... directly in front of me is an alto with the mouthpiece upside down... I stare at it all night!...every month!... for three years!!!... I think I might offer to buy it just to get it out of my sight.

Upon review... If this is the worst problem I ever have... it's been a great life.
Why don't you just go over there and turn it over?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
1. I have had folks with college degrees ask me if my baritone sax was a trombone. Ignorance is an abounding trait. [I include myself among the ignorant in almost every category of human interest or endeavor. Of course we are ignorant. We know very little of what there is to know. And mostly we do not know how ignorant we are.]

2. A great many people have no curiosity to speak of. They do not care, and have no interest in finding out what the name of an unknown instrument is, what it sounds like, or how it is held. Most people who did not recognize a baritone sax would not even try to find out what it is.

3. To some, the image of something is in itself sufficient. Such a person who was an artist would easily cut up something and glue it in a collage or snag a prop and shove it in the hands of a model to take a photo without another thought. [this notion leaves out ironical uses ala the dadaists, a violin bow used to slice meats in a deli, etc]

These are a few suggestions that occur about these misrepresentations.

It is, however, absolutely telling that a person could have a computer in their hand, connected to an enormous fund of information, that they use every waking moment, and yet lack the necessary interest to discover that an upright bass is played upright in standard practice.

When I see a mirror image of something, I usually congratulate myself for having noticed it and move on. "Ha! That's one!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
Maybe your baritone sax identifies as a trombone. Strange times we live it, you know.

My baritone sax is an inanimate object, not a person. However, as far as I know, even in the old days, it was not casually subjected to being beaten up on a playground, denied jobs as an adult, ridiculed, and made the butt of jokes for being different.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
My baritone sax is an inanimate object, not a person. However, as far as I know, even in the old days, it was not casually subjected to being beaten up on a playground, denied jobs as an adult, ridiculed, and made the butt of jokes for being different.
......and cue the outrage at humor. You go girl!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, the previously mentioned upside down alto mouthpiece is indeed a painting

My nomination for The VERY WORST example of the ridiculous laziness of photogs & artist who won't take a few minutes to research how to hold a horn, is... I have a method book I bought a few years ago "Amazing Phrasing" by Dennis Taylor (Hal Leonard) The close up pix of the guy holding the tenor sax on the book cover is horribly wrong!!!! Not even close to how you hold a sax!!

This on the cover of a sax technique book!!! By a respected publisher!!!..... Someone should go to jail.... I felt bad for the author, he must have been horrified at seeing his book finally published, then containing such a grievous error

1 - 20 of 27 Posts