Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have been toying with the idea of getting a baritone saxophone. However, my only viable mode of transport is by bicycle. Is there a good backpack case for bari that would make it possible to carry it on a bicycle? I found one 7 year old thread regarding this question. Most people suggested some kind of trailer. The bikelanes where I live are not broad enough to make this an option, so it’s either backpack or bust ;) (I am talking about fairly short distances though, rarely more than a 10-15min bikeride).

·
Registered
113 Posts
A few years back, I cycled with my baritone slung on my back, never had a problem...but I don't think I would now. Traffic locally is busier, roads less safe. I only cycle occasionally because surfaces are poor, also; and road etiquette is poor- the current crop of couriers, moped crews etc are from the 'wild west' school of road skills. Basically, "get outa my way!". Punctures are common due to urban streets often having broken glass, potholes... City life!
I tend to use soft gigbags with a long cross-sling- ie not back pack style. These days I have more kit for gigs; stands, light, mouthpieces etc, and travel in a band bus occasionally. Too much for a bike.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rode with a tenor history case slung across my bag for a good while... switched to a bam cabine because it felt much more secure on my back. Traffic here is pretty bad to and the bike lanes, if existent, are very narrow. I’m am pretty tall though (200cm), so as long as the case is upright and secure, I don’t think it should be a Problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
823 Posts
The Pro Tech Case can be used with their universal Back Pack Straps.

My Pro Tec Bari case is an older model and isn't set up for the Back Pack Straps.

They work great on the Alto and Tenor Cases, however, I've read here that the Bari Case hits the back of your legs, maybe not an issue on a bicycle.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Does it have to be a full two-strap backpack? The factory SA80 case seems pretty protective, and there's one on ebay now for $125 or so.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The Pro Tech Case can be used with their universal Back Pack Straps.

My Pro Tec Bari case is an older model and isn't set up for the Back Pack Straps.

They work great on the Alto and Tenor Cases, however, I've read here that the Bari Case hits the back of your legs, maybe not an issue on a bicycle.
Yeah, I'm 5'8'' and that happens to me when I try to use the backpack straps with the Protec bari case. On a bike the other issue would be clearance for the rear wheel. If you are riding a road bike and are pitched forward somewhat that might give you the necessary space. A hybrid or townie with an upright riding position could pose a problem. I'm going to set my trainer up in the basement next week so I'll try it and see how it works.

A single wheeled trailer is still probably a better idea in terms of actually carrying the instrument but I understand the issues that arise in a city when looking for a place to park and secure a bike & trailer combo. For me that would be more of a concern than the width as the single wheel style trailers are really no wider than a regular bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just checked with my bari soft case that has backpack straps and hopped on my road bike. Clearance was fine when riding in a normal position, but the case hit the wheels when sitting completely upright.

How about getting a child seat for the rear and just bungie'ing the Bari case upright in the seat?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,804 Posts
I have two friends in Toronto who cycle with baritones frequently. One uses a BAM case on his back. The other has a cargo bike, and the bari case rides in the front.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Just checked with my bari soft case that has backpack straps and hopped on my road bike. Clearance was fine when riding in a normal position, but the case hit the wheels when sitting completely upright.

How about getting a child seat for the rear and just bungie'ing the Bari case upright in the seat?
Thanks for taking the initiative. That's sort of what I expected though PBS says he's 6'4'' or 6'5'' so he may not have any issue at all at that height.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If you dare, and I might myself, ditch the sax case, and place it in a lighter weight roller back, such as this bat bag :

View attachment 220734

I'd wrap the horn in a fleece blanket several times, maybe place small pillow in the bottom, etc. Put the stand and extra stuff in the pockets. It has two backpack straps, very lightweight, plus roller wheels, but doesn't offer much drop protection. I carry a Yamaha MX49, a fiddle and a mandolin with cords, pre-amps, etc in mine. Once carried a pedal steel in it too. You can get a lot of stuff in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts