Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while, I was playing both tenor and alto, but the tenor I was using was someone else's. I had to give it back to him around April, where he used it for a while when his tenor broke, and I didn't get a chance to get it back until recently (he lives far away). I've been practicing alto during the time (which is my main one anyway) and I'm much better. However, when I played the tenor again, I sounded five or six levels below where I am on alto (maybe even more). When I accent or staccato, it either squeaks or sounds cir-plunky, the altissimo isn't anywhere near as strong (even though I can imagine the pitches in my head) and sometimes breaks, and my tone in general isn't as powerful (though I still think it sounds good). I know I'm putting enough air in and using the proper embouchure, but it still isn't where I want it to be.

Also, there are two leaks - one in the low C key, and a very small leak in the octave key for G and below. This may affect the tounging, but I don't think it's the main problem. If you have any suggestions or tips, that would be great.

By the way, I'm using a Meyer 6 medium chamber for both and a Vandoren 2.5 for the tenor and Rico Select Jazz 2.5 for the alto. My alto is a higher-end student model Yamaha and my tenor is a higher-end student model Yanasagawa.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Make sure to get the leaks fixed, they can give unexpected problems.
If that doesn't solve your problems then experiment with different reeds and/or mouthpieces.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Could you be using a tighter alto embouchure on your tenor and not relaxing enough?
BTW, what's a "higher-end student model Yamaha"?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,213 Posts
The 475 is the same as an Allegro which is the same as an intermediate level.

Could it be that you're just plain rusty, or maybe he broke this horn and didn't tell you, or heaven forbid.... you aren't as good on tenor as you thought you were?!?

Get the leaks fixed and see what happens.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,213 Posts
No.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps they are intermediate horns. However, I switched ligatures and the problems were a lot less severe. I suppose the rest of the problem is because of the leaks. I can now hold a low Bb and come in at a mp, but it feels annoying. I found out that I was actually using a different stock ligature than the one that my Meyer came with (and it was a cheap stock ligature at that). I didn't think of that earlier for some reason. The problem could've also been because I was a bit rusty; I practiced for an hour or so the basics (overtones, arpeggios, octaves, etc) and I got more used to it. Thanks for the help to those who've replied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts