Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a face to face teacher for 3.5 years and then decided to change because she raised her prices and I got tired of the 40 minute commute each way. So I've been fooling around on line with Skype lessons from JAF on you tube. I was getting some progress but not alot so we figured out that I need more srtucture and direction in what I'm doing. I can't complain about lack of progress if I'm not actually doing what she asked me to do. So we are going back to a 30 minute routine out of trevor wye big book. 10 minutes of actually tone matching on overtones (rather than blow through them and think I can do that?) and then 5 minutes on holding the B and 5 minutes on the low notes series in the front of the book (pg7 to 10) and then 10 minutes Machivellian exercises. (hard fingerings )

I've committed to 30 minutes of her curriculum and then I can go back to my stuff with Pentatinic scales out of Ally Ryderson, and mix bop scales that I do on sax, and my latest tech book which is alot like the previous 10 tech books I've worked out of. Joanne (JAF on You tube) made two great points yesterday. 1. is that there are three ways to learn something, A sight , you read it , you play it. B ear you hear it you play it c kinestetic you feel it you play it and remember the feel. She said most students are great at one thing, (for me ear) okay at the second (sight) and not good at all at the third thing (how it feels) She said in her students the ones who feel like it takes forever to learn something (the feeling 3rd way) in real time learn the fastest for whatever reason. I guess they get into the feel of an exercise rather than getting impatient with how fast it is coming and end up spending more quality time practicing. So for me I'll need to consciously try to get more into the feel of an exercise to make sure I'm learning all three ways to improve.

Depth is the other area I can use her help in. I start off playing an exercise great slow and perfect at the beginning of practice. Then by my third day its a little rushed, a little out of tune, a missed note here and there. So, I"ll have to maintain better standards and not push tempo so much.

So after the lesson and before a rehearsal last night . I thought I dont have much time I should warm up on some scales. But rather than that I turned on Metronome on line (I use this for sax everyday) and I actually played a B in the staff for 5 minutes. The first two minutes were whatever, waste of time. Then minute 3 to 5 I kept thinking damn, this is sounding better. Then 2 hours later after rehearsing 4 or 5 loud songs on sax with the band we did a number I do on flute. Im yours. I put the flute together and played a few notes. Damn, the tone stayed with me. I sounded better and I was very pleased.

So practice today will be using online metronome and I'll do her thirty minute routine then go back to herding cats the way I used to practice? MY best everyone. K

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Fingers are the easy part it's the embouchure that takes a lot of work.
For some easier than others.
I taught flute to kids in the 90s.
The ones who had no preconcieved notions learned the fastest.
I had 6 teachers through the years.
My favorite was Gretal Shanely.
She had an anotomical approach to technique with an inspirational enthusiasm.
For me that did it.
Also she was the only one to stop me from rolling the flute in and out for intonation adjustment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adam, thats great advice. I'm currently married to the T and G method book. Doing it slow and building in muscle memory, not worried about speed. K

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Adam, thats great advice. I'm currently married to the T and G method book. Doing it slow and building in muscle memory, not worried about speed. K
Slow is good but tiring when playing 3rd octave.
As with any wind instrument once the embouchure is trashed stop until rested.
Those little muscles get tired quick until strengthened.
The older I get the quicker i loose muscle tone everywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts