Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play a Mar VI 193*** with a Babit Meyer 5 small chamber. I have been using plasticovers for the last 2 years and they where just starting to be a little to inconsistant and bright for me. I have tried RJS, rigotti gold, alaxander and I am getting so muck back pressure form all these reeds I cant produce the full sound needed to play lead alto. Is this a result of the small chamber small tip opening?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
You probably need to go down in reed strength. What strength are you using?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
What strength reed do you use? If by back pressure you mean resistance than your reeds are too hard. If you are using 3-12
try 3 If you are using 3 try 2-12. For lead alto too much resistance and you run out of air. The small chamber is not causing the resistance unless your mouthpiece has a crooked facing which happens frequently on Babbitt pieces. You can tell if your facing is even by putting a credit card between the reed and the mouthpiece tip to check if the facing is longer on one side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using plasticover 3 then went to 2 1/2m rigotti golds then rjs 3s now rigotti gold 2 1/2 hard

·
5,903 Posts
Rigotti Gold 2.5 M should solve your problem. Similar to RJS 2H, just slightly harder.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rigotti Gold 2.5 M should solve your problem. Similar to RJS 2H, just slightly harder.
worked grate for the first 20 min then would start to die

·
5,903 Posts
So you need to use 2.5 Strong. Play each for 5 minutes on the first day, 10 minutes the second day, 15 minutes on the third day and 30 minutes on the 4th day. After 2-3 days of break-in, they come alive.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I was using plasticover 3 then went to 2 1/2m rigotti golds then rjs 3s now rigotti gold 2 1/2 hard
Do the mouthpiece test. If the side rails of the mouthpiece or not the same length it will be resistant. Maybe the section guys are playing to loud, particularly the 3rd alto player. An insensitive 3rd alto player or one who wants to play lead can cause problems for the lead player. You shouldn't have to play fff. The rest of the section has to play under the lead. Tell
the rest of the section that they are too load. If you can't play loud enough the rest of the section is too loud. Play the written dynamics and control the section. You're the LEAD alto player. Section players who play over the lead will make your life miserable.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
These reeds are too soft for a Meyer 5. Particularly a small chamber mouthpiece. For lead an RJS 3M or possibly a 3S.
This is not an open mouthpiece. These reeds might work on a Meyer 6 or 7, not a 5.

·
5,903 Posts
These reeds are too soft for a Meyer 5. Particularly a small chamber mouthpiece. For lead an RJS 3M or possibly a 3S.
This is not an open mouthpiece. These reeds might work on a Meyer 6 or 7, not a 5.
Agreed, for me they are. But each person is different. I don't know what experience the OP has. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Agreed, for me they are. But each person is different. I don't know what experience the OP has. Just trying to help.
I'm sorry Jima. We don't know his experience and each person is different. I should have expressed myself differently.
Sometimes I write something meaning to be helpful but when I reread it, it sounds confrontational. Your advice is always helpful. I would hope that the OP would try different solutions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts