Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently entered a sort of "depression," as far as my playing. I haven't been composing for the last several months, but decided to play my guitar and experiment with harmony/inversions, etc.

Came up with a little chord progression I fancied and a bass riff over it. From there I made a melody, mixing Dorian and Natural minor and a counter-melody for a duet.

After this experience, I've started back into the habit of practicing 2-4 hours a day, and my playing improved significantly. (from about a half-hour, on a good day)

No real question here, just making a point. With your students, having/helping them compose their own thoughts can really open their minds and make things a bit more fun if they aren't big practicers.

[Sidenote: In a church/combo group I've been playing in a few years, we tend to take a rehearsal and come up with a sort of "improvised composition." We all come back the next week with a new fire.]

Thanks,
-Bubba-

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I'm studying guitar with Guitar Circle of Europe in Spain next month directed by Robert Fripp. It's a two week intensive course. It's a cult-like group with breathing exercises and up to 45 minutes of silent meditation. This all takes place in a monastery. I'm excited and nervous not to mention the fact that I don't play guitar.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the title, I thought you were back to being a nun...
Quite similar considering my lack of communication with the rest of world.

I'm studying guitar with Guitar Circle of Europe in Spain next month directed by Robert Fripp. It's a two week intensive course. It's a cult-like group with breathing exercises and up to 45 minutes of silent meditation. This all takes place in a monastery. I'm excited and nervous not to mention the fact that I don't play guitar.
That sounds like it'd be amazing. Tips: Take a few minutes and kind of... "study" the guitar. Look like the idea of moving down a string on the same fret and see where you are. Oh! And Every Bunny Gets Drunk At Easter!

-Bubba-

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Quite similar considering my lack of communication with the rest of world.

That sounds like it'd be amazing. Tips: Take a few minutes and kind of... "study" the guitar. Look like the idea of moving down a string on the same fret and see where you are. Oh! And Every Bunny Gets Drunk At Easter!

-Bubba-
No, it's the NST (new standard tuning). California Guitarists Do Acid Every Gig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts