Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning and selling several of these Borgani Jubilee tenors, I'm happy to say I'm back. They are just so much fun to play - a huge tenor sound that can be pushed without becoming edgy. I will say, after owning several Borgani tenors, they are all different, never mind the alloy. I have owned three Pearl Silver models and they were all different, the first very spread, the second focused, and this one in between. I mention this because of other posters finding one alloy much preferable over another, or even saying a certain alloy was to be avoided. Each individual Borgani tenor, in my experience, even when the alloy is the same, is different. I do hear a difference though between the individual alloys - the gold perhaps warmer, the Pearl Silver perhaps more complex, etc. Another factor is setup - Of course a major detriment is the price. This one was used, had been through the Tenor Madness setup, and I got it at a good price and I am very happy with it. If you are looking for a big Conn tenor sound with modern ergonomics and without the intonation quirks and can find one used, this might be for you. I'm happy to be back on the Borgani bandwagon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
In the last few weeks, I've done a major crawl through the NY area sax shops and the altos that I liked the best were new Borganis. They had a nice vintage feel and sound with modern action. I liked them better than the Selmer Mark VI saxes I tried. However, I also liked the Yamaha Z altos. An unlacquered Borgani alto costs as much as a good original lacquer Mark VI and it costs $2,000 more than a unlacquered YAS 82Z. Homey don't play that. I think I'd be willing to pay $500 more for a Borgani than a YAS 82Z.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,944 Posts
The collective has missed you, Leon. Welcome back.

Did you ever learn what "briestly" means? It certainly has you hooked.

I'm digging the sterling Jubilee still. It's a keeper for me.

Now you're gonna need a mouthpiece. Let me know what trips your trigger. I'll catch you on the PMs.

:borg:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My 2 daughters sax teacher has a gold plate jubilee alto. Great dark tone but both he and I cannot get high E,F,or F# to speak on it. It has us both baffled. Has to be the sax cause he can get the high notes out of my daughters Cannonball and Yanagisawa altos and my Selmer USA pro alto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts