Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to announce that my new book for saxophone, Bach Shapes, will be out in May and is available for pre-order now at www.bachshapes.com. Please do check out the web site and read about the project if you can. I have spent the last few years compiling intervallic shapes from Bach's solo works for Violin, Cello, Keyboard and Flute, distilling them into sequence you can use in your improvisation. The book is just the beginning as I hope to further break down how to use the material in a series of blog posts and videos, also at bachshapes.com and my site, www.jondelucia.com. Thanks for your time!

-Jon

BachShapes_CV_F-hi.jpg

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would like to announce that my new book for saxophone, Bach Shapes, will be out in May and is available for pre-order now at www.bachshapes.com. Please do check out the web site and read about the project if you can. I have spent the last few years compiling intervallic shapes from Bach's solo works for Violin, Cello, Keyboard and Flute, distilling them into sequence you can use in your improvisation. The book is just the beginning as I hope to further break down how to use the material in a series of blog posts and videos, also at bachshapes.com and my site, www.jondelucia.com. Thanks for your time!

-Jon

View attachment 91498
Hi Jon

Thank you ...this looks very cool.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Jon - I have been waiting for this book to come out since you first announced it as a work in progress a year or two ago in SOTW Forum and just pre-ordered a copy. At that time, you made a couple of shapes available which I have been practicing off and on ever since.

Also I love the sound of your Octet!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
pre-ordered

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jon - I have been waiting for this book to come out since you first announced it as a work in progress a year or two ago in SOTW Forum and just pre-ordered a copy. At that time, you made a couple of shapes available which I have been practicing off and on ever since.

Also I love the sound of your Octet!
Very happy to hear it Bob! Glad to provide some more shapes to work on, thanks so much for your order. As for the octet, we keep playing concerts in NYC, in fact Michael Steinman just posted four new videos from our show last week on his blog Jazz Lives. Here:
https://jazzlives.wordpress.com/201...t-greenwich-house-music-school-march-29-2017/

I hope to send you the PDF asap and the book in May. Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
This is a nice collection which can easily be added to anyone's daily practice routine. One comment, and it is not a comment about the content or specifically directed at Mr. DeLucia — I would gladly have paid more for the option of having the book spiral bound — all music practice books should be spiral bound or at least put together in such a way that they will lay flat on a music stand without breaking the spine of the book.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Jon - The book arrived about a week ago an it has been a constant part of my practice routine since. WELL DONE!

Comments for those considering buying this book (which I enthusiastically recommend): Before starting to practice the shapes, you should to read the "How to Practice" section at the beginning of the book carefully. This book is not simply about running through all the shapes in each key as fast as you can, but rather about playing them beautifully with control of your sound quality and pitch (making it a terrific interval study too), and really listening to and internalizing the voice leading aspects of Bach's lines. Jon has also written several Etudes applying these shapes to standard chord progressions to really drive to point home about how Bach's use of voice leading applies directly to improvised music.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks very much for your comments guys. This is all great feedback and I'm making notes as this is my first publication. Keep it coming! On my end, please do see the new blog post at www.jondelucia.com/blog regarding Paul Desmond and his method of using these kinds of shapes in his improvising, which will be a 2-3 part series tied in with the book. Next I will be doing a live workshop video where I break down some ways to use it the material, hopefully that will be done by august. Thanks again for the support, much more to come. If you get a chance, please do share your comments on the amazon listing for the book, it would be a great help in getting info out there.
https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Shapes-...F8&qid=1495928854&sr=8-1&keywords=bach+shapes

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bach Shapes is going on sale for the holidays, you can order the print copy for $16.95 instead of $18.95 until December 31st. The PDF is still $15. www.bachshapes.com, or jondelucia.com/shop. Thanks again for your continued interest. Here is some recent feedback from Miguel Zenon and Ken Tse:

“Jazz musicians have naturally gravitated towards the music of JS Bach for years, so a book like this one has been a long time coming. Jon has done a wonderful job capturing various snapshots of Bach’s seemingly infinite musical language, organizing these shapes in a setting that could be very useful to improvisers. A truly interesting and enjoyable book that will hopefully lead to more volumes in the future.”

–Miguel Zenon, International Touring Artist

“A valuable tool for students who would like a refreshing change from regular forms of scale exercises. The challenging intervals and ranges would give any serious player a good workout! Thank you for this wonderful addition to our study materials!”

– Kenneth Tse, Professor at University of Iowa, President of the Comite International de Saxophone

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi everyone, it's been 4 years and Bach Shapes II is out this May! Before that I'm putting out an Etude collection of Bach related lines, out March 31st and am doing a bunch of workshops, you can visit my blog at jondelucia.com/blog for updates. But most importantly, I'm moving this month and am putting the original Bach Shapes on sale for $10 on my site only. Here it is:
Bach Shapes - New Book for Saxophone - Jon De Lucia Music
Thanks for your support so far!
Jon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts