Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else noticed or experienced this? is it a common problem?

I got my Meyer 5m about a little over a month ago, but only started to use it a couple of weekends ago. Up until then, I had been practicing with the stock Yamaha 4c.

At first i thought i was given the wrong piece, but when i looked at the box, it said it was alto. What's happening is, every time i put the Meyer piece on, it shaves the cork on the neck off a little at a time. The cork has now been shaved to the point that the 4C won't stay on the neck.

Thanks in advance,

~Ronaldo

My gear: 18 yr-old YAS-23

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,023 Posts
Unless you see bits of cork on the mouthpiece or floor, it isn't shaving the cork. It is probably compressing the cork as the Meyer probably has a smaller shank than the 4C.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carl H. said:
Unless you see bits of cork on the mouthpiece or floor, it isn't shaving the cork. It is probably compressing the cork as the Meyer probably has a smaller shank than the 4C.
there are bits and pieces of cork falling off. i use cork grease when i put my mouth piece on, so the shavings are more like slices.

But i think you pretty much answered my question, even though i did not know how to ask it...

Carl H. said:
...the Meyer probably has a smaller shank than the 4C.

·
13,023 Posts
If it really is shaving the cork, I'd try to radius the end of the mouthpiece so it slides on without cutting. A little sandpaper to soften the edge should do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats really wierd. I too use a babbit meyer 5 but I've never had a problem (and my yamaha 4C always fits fine when I switch) :dontknow:

·
4,147 Posts
Carl H. said:
If it really is shaving the cork, I'd try to radius the end of the mouthpiece so it slides on without cutting. A little sandpaper to soften the edge should do it.

I think the term is "chamfer" or something like that? Not trying to be nitpicky or anything...

You could try wrapping some paper around your cork in order to use the 4c.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There isn't a small burr on the inside of the mpc is there?

If there is this maybe shaving the cork when you put it on, otherwise with grease on the cork it should only compress the cork, not shave or cut it.

Maybe the cork is old? and breaking down and when it's being compressed its falling to bits.

I have a Meyer bros mpc which is a tight fit on the cork, but it just compresses it, once the mpc has been off the neck a while it just expands back to it's former self. I normally play with the Meyer but I also have a SS and this won't fit the cork when the Meyer has been on there, I have to leave it a while to allow the cork to expand.

·
13,023 Posts
Martinman said:
I think the term is "chamfer" or something like that? Not trying to be nitpicky or anything...

You could try wrapping some paper around your cork in order to use the 4c.
Chamfer is adding a bevel to an edge, radius implies a curve with an axis point. Sandpaper with a backing block can be used to create a chamfer, but we just need to ease the edge a bit ie: round off the sharp corner.
http://www.askoxford.com said:
radius:• verb (radiused, radiusing) often as adj. radiused make (a corner or edge) rounded.

chamfer:• verb cut away (a right-angled edge or corner) to make a symmetrical sloping edge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Poor quality cork. The Yamaha was loose enough that it just didn't scrape and the Meyer is fitting tightly and the cork is crumbling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Homer said:
Maybe the cork is old? and breaking down and when it's being compressed its falling to bits.

Well, my horn is about 18 years old, and it did sit for about 5-6 years. The cork may have just dried up in that time and became brittle. I'll probably just take it in to get cleaned as more pads than i remember are sticking. And, while they have it, I'll ask them to re-cork the neck.

Does anybody know of a reputable saxophone/instrument repair shop in the Sacramento area? The only one I know about is Tim's Band off Arden.

·
4,147 Posts
Carl H. said:
Chamfer is adding a bevel to an edge, radius implies a curve with an axis point. Sandpaper with a backing block can be used to create a chamfer, but we just need to ease the edge a bit ie: round off the sharp corner.

Ok, thanks. The tech classes at school didn't help as much as I thought.;)

·
13,023 Posts
Chuck Norris never banks on-line because in order to do so he would have to hit the submit button, and Chuck Norris never submits.

·
4,147 Posts
Carl H. said:
Chuck Norris never banks on-line because in order to do so he would have to hit the submit button, and Chuck Norris never submits.

Nice. I bet Chuck Norris never has to radius his mouthpieces either. In fact, he doesn't even need one, the horn plays itself for him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts