Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next winter I am going to get a thorough keywork, pad and body overhaul of my B990.
The lacquer finish is a little worn, but I'd like to leave it unchanged other than a good cleaning inside and out. I really like the spring tensions now and hopefully won't have to change any of them.
I'm thinking about getting a second neck of the B992 type, and repadding with RooPads, and removing two small dents in the body tube near the alternate F# tone hole. Domed metal or plastic resonators are all that I have experience with, are other styles of reso worth investigating?
On my tenor I have RooPads w/metal dome resos and a T992 neck; it is a nice playing and good sounding horn, so maybe it would be O.K. to treat my bari similarly.

I am curious if any of you Yanagisawa bari players had done a similar change, and if you wanted to comment if it was a good, or not so good change?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I have a B992 which has the metal resos on it and I like the way it sounds. It depends upon what type of music you play most and what you want sound-wise. I'm not sure if there is much difference in metal resos made out of different metals but the shape seems to make some difference. The crinkle style Noyeks can make a horn really loud and brash, good for rock and funk work, bad for concert band or quartet stuff.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks KeithL, I'm going to try to find out more about resonators, but may have to stay with domed types. I like the idea of "bolting on" more volume, with crinkly resonators LOL (this has to be one of the ultimate gearhead approaches to sax playing, rather than actually focusing and blowing harder to get more sound).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts