Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a meaningful difference between these 2 horns? I've read the specs, but from a playability perspective, does it matter? There are so many good comments about the 901, I don't see how you can get much better, or be worth the additional cost. My 901 plays better than any other horn I own.

·
2,487 Posts
YES, there is!

i play both and i really find that the 991 is a huge step up from the 901, much nicer action, feels better built and sounds so much nicer.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Sure, there's a difference. Does that make one better or worse than the other? Nope. I tend to believe that at a certain point, saxophones are very subjective beasts.

When I was looking for a pro alto, I looked mostly at Selmer, and mostly at the Series II and III. To many on this forum, they would swear that the III was a far superior instrument. When I actually tried several of them, hands down I went with the Series II. It felt my personal sound and feel image far better.

There are players who will rave about the 901 and the 991. They're both good horns. I personally liked the 991 much better, as per the poster above me, but that doesn't mean you'd feel the same way. So, which one is better? That's for you to decide.

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SearjeantSax said:
and sounds so much nicer.
Really? According to Saxforte, they have the same body tubes and geometry.

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was more asking from tone, intonation, resistance. The differences seem to be mostly ergonomic.

·
2,487 Posts
how about the necks?
i was told the neck was different,
ok, what i said was very subjective and down to opinion.
they are both great horns,

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
necks

I've tried to flush that out in the forum before without any luck. If you go to the Yani Japan site, they list several necks, including 3 lacquered brass, and have never been able to determine which necks came with the horns.

·
4,544 Posts
Morry said:
Isn't the construction different? Post vs. Post on rib?
The construction is very different. The B991 is rock solid and meant for serious work. The 901 requires a little more babying, but IMHO plays just as well when well set up. I don't have personal experience, but I have never had a B991 (other than tweaking on my own) come to my shop, but I have seen plenty of 901s and Vito VSPs. The 991 is ribbed, has double arms on all bell keys, comes with metal resos, and has a solider brace. It also quite noticeably weighs a little more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts