Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ! I bought a Buffet Crampon E11. It came with a pretty worn Woodwon Co. mouthpiece so after following some of my friends advice I bought a Vandoren B45. The problem is it won't fit the barrel of my clarinet. I can't push the mpc all the way down, there is always a 1/8 or 3/16 of an inch left in between.

Is there something I can do myself without bringing my E11 to a tech ?

Thank you !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Can you identify WHY it won't go all the way into the barrel's socket? Is the mouthpiece's cork too fat? Is the mouthpiece barrel too long so it bottoms out against the bottom of the barrel's receptacle? It is easy to measure the length of the mouthpiece tenon and compare it to the depth of the barrel's socket.

The answer could be to have a tech ream out the barrel's mouthpiece socket slightly OR saw off a small slice of the mouthpiece's tenon OR replace the cork.

I have an E-11 Buffet and my B45 mouthpiece goes all the way into the barrel's receptacle. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
I'd say sand off the tenon of the mouthpiece - check with the length of your old WW piece. If the tenon of the old piece is the same as your B45's, then it must be the cork, or something with the diameter of the tenon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
Is the barrel the original? B45s should fit most clarinets OK. Some of the Asian instruments are a tighter fit, but the length should be OK. I would takeit to a repairman and have the barrel adjusted to fit as it's unlikely the B45 is wrong.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the problem is the cork being too fat. I just pushed the mpc quite hard and it went all the way down. Should I let it here for a day or too ? maybe after, the cork will be thinner ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
If you are near a repair-tech (or can do it yourself), simply replace the cork. It is an inexpensive job. OR, you could buy a sheet of fine sandpaper, tear or cut it into strips slightly smaller than your mouthpiece cork and pull the sandpaper back and forth evenly around the circumference of the cork so it fits. Be careful and only do a little at a time while testing the fit. DAVE

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try to sand the cork ! Thanks everyone !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts