Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody played the Laqured version of these saxophones. Do they play any different to the bronze ones. There has been some very good reviews of the bronze ones on here however I have been unable to find anything regarding the laqured ones. I a thinking of buying one however if people are goin for the bronze ones just for the look I'm not gona bother as the laqured finish is cheaper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Well, the bronze ones are lacquered as well, so it's just the old question of "does body material make a difference?" And if it does, it doesn't make a hundred quid's worth. The workmanship, mechanism, pads etc are going to be the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I meant to say, body material not laqure. I have a yani a902 which I bought because I liked the sound, this is bronze body however having heard a 901 which is not bronze there is nothing between them in my mind. Im thinking this will be the same with the walsteins. I might save me £100. Will play the both first of course.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts

·
38,878 Posts
is their a place in England where we can play test the horns?
You need to Contact Martin Walker at Woodwind and Brass
WOODWIND & BRASS LTD • 50 LONDON ROAD, COWPLAIN, PO8 8EN • 00 44 (0) 23 9235 2227 • OPENING HOURS: 9AM -5.30PM MONDAY-FRIDAY

Alternatively you might decide to take a leave of absence and a small vacation to Germany during the Musikmesse and try them there

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Sorry Milandro,
I really want nothin to do with Germany a.t.m.

I'm pretty sure I'll be very happy with the vintage conn thats comin, I want to play test the Walstein and see how they stack up.

·
38,878 Posts
Germans and Germany are not that bad the show is good and the food and beer are great , but yes, go and See Martin, remember he will be busy before and after the show

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
You need to Contact Martin Walker at Woodwind and Brass
WOODWIND & BRASS LTD • 50 LONDON ROAD, COWPLAIN, PO8 8EN • 00 44 (0) 23 9235 2227 • OPENING HOURS: 9AM -5.30PM MONDAY-FRIDAY
Yes, that is the head office and I bought mine there, but you need to make an appointment to call in. But if you ring him, you'll also find out what retailers stock them in your area. I know there is sax.co.uk in London and Allegro in Oxford but there are quite a few others now as word gets around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sax.co.uk in London did not have any on Display when I had a quick look in the other day however I didnt ask if they had any behind the scenes. They did have the Walstein tenors on display though.

If any of you guys are near to Bradford West Yorkshire, Bradford Woodwind have a very large selection of saxophones which you can try out. Stock changes all the time so its worth a call prior to going in order to find out what they have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
while on the subject of soprano saxophones, has anybody any experience of Hanson sopranos, looking on their site their ST8 model which is supposedly a pro model sells for £1062 with a range of different finishes. It has a tipped bell, the hanson website claims this can help with intonation.Does it help with intonation or is it myth.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I am not sure how tipping the bell would help intonation unless there was a flaw in their original design.

·
38,878 Posts
:faceinpalm:...............
.......... It has a tipped bell, the hanson website claims this can help with intonation.Does it help with intonation or is it myth.
[rolleyes]..................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts