Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone !
I have a B&S Tenor, model Series 1000 silver lacquering.
It has a great tone. But I can play it in tune because the medium/high register of the horn is very sharp, and when I play it I have to put my jaw almost in the ground to get a tuned note.

Can anyone help me ?
Thanks
Pedro

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,573 Posts
B&S 1000 was my first tenor. Gold lacquer...sounded great! I played a metal Otto Link 6* STM on it with great results after having a good set-up (bought it used) and the mouthpiece facing cleaned up (typical new Link QC issues). I often wish I had kept that horn as a back up. Nice big sound with a good core, and easy to blow...Didn't know much about saxes then.

Could be a bad mouthpiece match, could need a playing condition adjustment. These are generally really good horns, so I wouldn't lose hope. I have played two others in the last six months (oddly enough on consignment in the same shop), and my Saxscape Xtra Dark Prototype sounded really good on both of them

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
I agree, a bad mouthpiece match is the culprit most of the times in these cases. I've played both the alto and the tenor of the 1000 series and although unsophisticated in the mechanics (there horns are directly derived from the DDR B&S blue shields or their Weltklang solist ancestors) they are nice sounding horns with a good intonation . Of course things like key height can affect the horn intonation too if, at some stage, someone has been fiddling around with it too much.

Mind you also a poor adjustment might lead to a poor response say for example the horn has leaks or some octave key problem leading to you having to push more in the higher register to play and you play with a soft reed that you might unconsciously " bite" the horn out of tune.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks swperry1 and milandro. Maybe my T20 from Vandoren and 3 traditional reeds, are not the best choice in the my horn. I pretend to have a mouthpiece that can be versatible and can play classic and jazz with no problems of tune or response. What are your advices ?
Thanks
Pedro

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
actually it doesn't look (I wanted to wrote it doesn't sound lie but than I realised the painful pun!) like a bad match on paper! I don't know what would actually work better because part of the equation is obviously the player too. .........I am baffled.....(another pun I know!).......I used a Ponzol M1 105......I don't know if that helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts