Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been offered a B&S Tenor Sax made in the GDR, serial 34xx, priced at US$ 1,000.-
I want to take up sax, so I am looking for my first sax. My alternative is a used YTS 23 for abt US$ 900 also being offered. The YTS is being offered by a recognized repairman, and includes the overhaul before delivery.
The B&S is apparently in good condition, and with little use, and has been sitting in storage for 7 years.
I would want to get input as to how these compare.
As said, I hv no experience.
B&S saxes are virtualy unknown here, so no local knowledge to help me.
What say you?

FYI I live in Peru, and local supply of horns is rather limited.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
I am a huge B&S fan, but considering the numbers you post, the Yamaha is the better deal.

If you look at the "Blue emblem" B&S horns (the bell to body brace has a blue lacquered 'B&S' logo on it), a reasonable price for one before an overhaul or repad is about $500.00.

There are some online dealers that have charged much more than $500.00 for a fully set up one, but if you scour eBay Germany, 500.00 is about the going rate.

A B&S 2001 or Medusa will cost a lot more than 500.00; because they are better horns, by far.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Buy the yamaha. They are reliable and this one comes from a tech so it should be in good repair
Dave

·
1,679 Posts
Randall said:
I am a huge B&S fan, but considering the numbers you post, the Yamaha is the better deal.

If you look at the "Blue emblem" B&S horns (the bell to body brace has a blue lacquered 'B&S' logo on it), a reasonable price for one before an overhaul or repad is about $500.00.

There are some online dealers that have charged much more than $500.00 for a fully set up one, but if you scour eBay Germany, 500.00 is about the going rate.

A B&S 2001 or Medusa will cost a lot more than 500.00; because they are better horns, by far.
Randall, not to be disagreeable :D but i think you'll find the eBay Germany B&S "Blue Label" rate is (has risen to) more like 950 Euros for a nice playable (silver plated) tenor... :cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
I have seen them higher than what you say, and one high profile dealer has even gotten close to 2k US$ for one..but they aren't selling for more than 500 on auction unless they are pristine...and even then, on average, they are still far below 950 E.
Our poster has an opportunity to pick up a horn that will probably need pads- $500.00.
:)

Also maybe I should say that I have been watching these horns for well over 3 years on German eBay. Thanks to SHE (the Sotw Hype Effect) the prices have risen steadily from less than 100 E at the beginning. I think I am partially to blame because of my cheerleading/trumpeting of the virtues of B&S so loudly here. A lot of people listened.

·
1,679 Posts
Randall said:
Also maybe I should say that I have been watching these horns for well over 3 years on German eBay. Thanks to SHE (the Sotw Hype Effect) the prices have risen steadily from less than 100 E at the beginning. I think I am partially to blame because of my cheerleading/trumpeting of the virtues of B&S so loudly here. A lot of people listened.
Randall, So you're to blame, eh?...I've been watching (and buying) "Blue Label" B&S tenors for the past 3-4 years and for quite a while they were below $500-$600USD. At or below that price point, I've bought a few. Unfortunately, I'm not finding them at that price now... :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hallo i have a B&S tenor sax but unfortunally i don't have a neck is any chance you can tell me where to find a new one or one the fix into it
please

1 - 8 of 8 Posts