Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've just get a B&S soprano, s. # 13xx, so it's from 70s I suppose, GDR made. It's in good condition but needs some minor fixes and adjustments. Some corks are missing here and there and things like that, the pads are ok. It came with three mouthpieces: selmer classic metal, yamaha 4c and vintage weltklang mpc. I can't wait until I will get it compleatly fixed by the sax tech. As it's my first soprano (I play mainly alto, not that much tenor) I dont't know if it sounds good or not. maybe I have to experiment with different mouthpieces? What are your experience on B&S sops and what do you recommend?

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Those are good horns- more free blowing than most; built like a tank, too.
I don't know the Weltlang piece but expect it's the stock piece from the horn, maybe. Having 3 pieces to play will give you a good idea of a lot of the potential.
Unless those pieces are unplayable, stick with the one you like the most for a while before searching for something else. The Selmer will likely be stuffy down low and up high, but good in the middle of the horn. It's the piece and horn combination, not you.

Have fun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Joe. On all the these mpcs I have a problem with some high notes. Above the c#, the palm keys. It's really hard to get the right sound. I suppose it's me not the sax as almost all the keys are open so there is no question about any leak. I have been playing a alto for 15 years and it wonders me how hard it is. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts