Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Not sure if the Series 1000 ever sold for $4000 new, but there has been one on ebay for literally as long as I can remember now with a BIN price of $3000!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
The description is interesting because it says that the bell and sound of the sax are the same as the series 2001. I can’t remember anyone reviewing this model. It was a mid-level instrument for the B&S company

·
3,310 Posts
The description is interesting because it says that the bell and sound of the sax are the same as the series 2001. I can’t remember anyone reviewing this model. It was a mid-level instrument for the B&S company
There is a thread somewhere from a guy who (several years ago now) bought a Series 1000, the gist of it was it was an OK horn but it lacked that certain "Je ne sais quoi" that the 2001, Medussa etc have.

Mind you, a single data point isnt going to be particularly statistically valid:) I get the impression that they never made or sold many of these. For $1200 its a relatively modern german made horn. Blue Labels have been known to sell for more. If you are in the local area and in the market for a tenor, what is there to lose in checking it out.

The headache as far as buying an intermediate horn like the Series 1000 goes is that its going to be hard to resell if you decide to because the price difference between that and a 2001 or medusa is only a couple of hundred bucks. That doesnt mean its a bad horn, but its a reality of the used market.

·
3,310 Posts
There are a few threads in the archive, mostly with favourable opinions. In 2005 Dave Kessler wrote "The 1000 III is not a bad horn. We had a few in here a little over a year ago for eval... they were built as well as their pro horns. I do agree that they made it as an intermediate horn (but I think they marketed as student and then replaced them with the 600 series if memory serves correct).

The problem is that when they were new for the price, I do not think they justified it... however, if they were less, then I would have considered them. Definately is a good solid horn though and compared to an student or intermediate Selmer or Yamaha, the 1000 is probably all around the better horn."

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Look up F. Schmidt that I reviewed. Its the same horn. Very nice tone and great ergos albeit more akin to blue label it is clearly a pro level horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
B&S 1000 series are nothing to be amazed from, they are honest student instruments. Certainly they never sold for $4000 but in a fantasy world.

This one is nicer looking than most but the price is at 1/3 of the realistic price. I sol my nearly perfect blue label fro just a tad more.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
B&S 1000 series are nothing to be amazed from, they are honest student instruments. Certainly they never sold for $4000 but in a fantasy world.

This one is nicer looking than most but the price is at 1/3 of the realistic price. I sol my nearly perfect blue label fro just a tad more.
I didn't think they were student horns, but if they are they are best student horns ever made because I could not tell any difference other than the low Eb/C keys from my 2001 or CJS.

Very hardy keywork but not clunky like most student horns and the silky smooth robust tone was 99% of the 2001, and CJS. IMHO this is a professional level horn that can be utilized as such.

·
38,865 Posts
well, there are pros using yamahas 23 but that doesn’t mean they are intended to be professional saxophones. I’ve played one of these and , while I thought it was a good horn, I wouldn’t put it in the same category of what I consider the most affordable pro instrument (Yanagisawa 901) at the lowest price let alone more expensive intruments, but, as always , anyone’s mileage varies quite a bit on these things.

We see a fair amount of these around these parts and they don’t sell maybe I should buy them and sell them in the states where they are so highly appreciated.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
I really am not sure why a 23 would not be considered a pro instrument if it performs well but I didnt think this series which I've owned several tenors and altos were anything but cheap horns. In fact, of all the horns I have owned and tried I thought the 1000 was quite remarkable. Obviously the 2001 is better but not by much. Yanigasawa is in a class of its own.

well, there are pros using yamahas 23 but that doesn’t mean they are intended to be professional saxophones. I’ve played one of these and , while I thought it was a good horn, I wouldn’t put it in the same category of what I consider the most affordable pro instrument (Yanagisawa 901) at the lowest price let alone more expensive intruments, but, as always , anyone’s mileage varies quite a bit on these things.

We see a fair amount of these around these parts and they don’t sell maybe I should buy them and sell them in the states where they are so highly appreciated.

·
38,865 Posts
what is a pro horn?

A saxophone used by pros? Then any horn is a pro horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
1000's are solid instruments, I have refurbed several. They aren't the upper-shelf B&S's, but they are significantly finer than something like a 23 or whatever. I'd choose it over most asian-made new horns in the $1500 price range any day.

$1200 is probably too much to ask for a used one; considering for a hundred or so more one can get a used Blue Label. I would say it's worth around $750-850, given the good condition.

Seller's problem is...yeah....nobody really knows what these are. They have zero market familiarity in the US.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
what is a pro horn?

A saxophone used by pros? Then any horn is a pro horn.
I think if the horn produces the tone you need and it is matches what you need as far as ergonomic feel why not?

I have spent so much money on horns and then I see someone locally playing a Yam 52 or Yam 23 sounding really nice and it makes me wonder.

·
38,865 Posts
price wise, ( Jaye) we are in agreement

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1000's are solid instruments, I have refurbed several. They aren't the upper-shelf B&S's, but they are significantly finer than something like a 23 or whatever. I'd choose it over most asian-made new horns in the $1500 price range any day.

$1200 is probably too much to ask for a used one; considering for a hundred or so more one can get a used Blue Label. I would say it's worth around $750-850, given the good condition.

Seller's problem is...yeah....nobody really knows what these are. They have zero market familiarity in the US.
That and the fact that the statement:

Good: All the pads are there and functional. Great deep sound. Comes with a nice case, mouth piece, neck strap, everything you need to play except for reeds.
does not instill much confidence, especially when the photograph shows a box of reeds .. The price is probably going to drop a bit over the next few weeks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
… We see a fair amount of these around these parts and they don’t sell… .
Yes. When you do see one, they just seem to sit on ebay week after week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
That and the fact that the statement:........

......does not instill much confidence, especially when the photograph shows a box of reeds .. The price is probably going to drop a bit over the next few weeks
Yes, one would have to assume from description it isn't in full playing shape. But I suppose that'd be discovered upon trying it.

So I guess either the guy eventually gets a reality check on the value and sells....or gets a reality check on the value and keeps....

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Same with 2001 and Guardala's and Medusa's . Its awesome for those who know.

Yes, one would have to assume from description it isn't in full playing shape. But I suppose that'd be discovered upon trying it.

So I guess either the guy eventually gets a reality check on the value and sells....or gets a reality check on the value and keeps....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts