Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the B&S horns are supposed to be based on the Mark VI geometry (like so many others), has anyone tried putting a Selmer or other brand neck on their B&S? I would specifically be interested in hearing about experiences with Medusa-generation tenors....

Randall?? Anyone?? Just wondering what a Series III sterling neck would do on my CJS tenor (which I still love).

Brian

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I had Medusa with three necks. There is so minimal a difference between the three necks that it doesn't warrant a discussion. These small differences are probably imperceptible to the listener.

If the neck makes any difference at all it is because of fitment and geometry, not so much the material.

...my opinion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
I tried a SIII neck recently on my B&S tenor and it made the sound bigger but there were some problems in the high and low end. The D3, for instance, seemed to want to split and crack. The low end seemed more resistant than normal. I didn't test the intonation. I put the stock neck back on and the horn was much easier to play top to bottom.

I tried a bunch of other necks on my B&S tenor a few months ago and the only one I liked was the Yamaha G3. It fit perfectly and seemed to make the sound a little more round and rich. The intonation was good. The Yani neck and Ref 54 neck didn't work very well.

I've read on SOTW that the Selmer SII neck works well on a B&S tenor, but I haven't tried it.

After all this testing, my advice is not to buy a second neck until you've tried it on your horn and checked it with a tuner.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I tried a Yamaha G1, a Medusa neck which fattened the sound up, and a Mk VI neck. All three were good. The VI neck darkened the sound a bit and provided a bit more resistance. The G1 created a purer tone.

I have settled on the Medusa neck. The VI neck is going to stay with the VI tenor from which it was absconded. I use the G1 on a Yanagisawa/Martin stencil to very good effect.

I am not sure why the Medusa neck sounds better than the stock neck. The stock neck sounded a bit thin and raucous. The Medusa sounds smoother and just a little fatter. If I didn't have these necks available, which also fit, I would have been fine with the stock neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
VI Necks and 2001 series are interchangeable but I haven't tried my Medusa neck on a VI yet. I will today and see.
I suspect it too is the same as the 2001 since there was little change in the tenor Medusa from the 2001.

The alto is a different story.... the 2001 and Medusa altos are quite different horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,708 Posts
Randall said:
VI Necks and 2001 series are interchangeable but I haven't tried my Medusa neck on a VI yet. I will today and see.
I suspect it too is the same as the 2001 since there was little change in the tenor Medusa from the 2001.

The alto is a different story.... the 2001 and Medusa altos are quite different horns.
How so ?

Can you get into any design specifics ?

Thanks.:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
neck swapping on B&S

I had a very nice 2001 that I experimented with a bit.

I tried the following:

Mark VI neck from a horn that was really free blowing. The 2001 played worse with the Mark VI neck

Chicago Jazz Series Neck - darker but way too stuffy compared to the 2001 neck

I had no luck in my limited trials. Try before you buy. Good luck.

Best regards,
HUTMO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Tried today a Barone gold plated and a Selmer III goldbrass on my rediscovered B&S 2001 tenor (lqcquer finish): the latter is an improvement vs the stock neck, the Barone is not (it actually sounds worse).
The SIII goldbrass is even smoother than the stock and plays slightly more in tune: recommended upgrade. No adjustments needed, however a little loose as is.

Outstanding horn: I can't believe in the used market it can be bought for less than 1400$...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
rispoli said:
Outstanding horn: I can't believe in the used market it can be bought for less than 1400$...
This makes it THE BEST horn available today!! You can find them in near new condition and they are functionally (an musically) as good or better than offerings from Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, and Keilwerth. I am amazed with every passing day that these horns don't get more credit.

·
Registered
439 Posts
there is a very small difference on my medusa (silver plated) between the stock neck and a Barone copper (silver plated)... the Barone gives just a slightly fatter sound.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Keilwerth Neck

Ed Zentera resizes JK SX-90 necks to fit his Yanagisawas for a more open sound. He sold me one that he adjusted to my CJS tenor.
Of course, I was skeptical about how this might work, but EZ is a great guy and he said it works.
So I got the neck and it is very snug although after a little twisting and shaking it settled in fine.
The effect on the sound is very noticeable especially on the lower register. The low end is almost like an SX-90, minimal resistance, and it sounds BIG. The intonation is surprisingly good and with adequate practice it should not be a problem, but I would say the original neck is more spot on. I always practice scales and long tones with a tuner so when I say the intonation is good, it is good and I am not just guessing.
I will need to spend a few weeks with it, at least, to get work out all the details. However, the SX-90 neck already seems to be a viable alternative.
Now if it just matched the finish of the sax...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts