Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing a vintage Mark VI alto (#61xxx) for 46 years. Last fall I purchased a new Guardala tenor, and I must admit that it's the best tenor I have ever played. So, I have been thinking about getting a fairly new alto. How do the B&S Codera (w/resoblades) altos sound and play? How rich is the sound? How is intonation? Do the resoblades ever become a problem?

· Registered
572 Posts
Balladeer

Which Guardala tenor you purchase last year? Pro Artist? Pro Custom? New York Series? What finish - French Gold? Silver Plated? Black Nickel?

What MP you use on your Guardala tenor ?

Please share your experience because I just ordered a brand new Guardala tenor (DG-500BN), I should get it next week.

BTW, What other tenor you compare with your Guardala ? I also compared it with many horn - YTS-875, Series II, III, Ref 36, 54, Earth-Tone & several Mark VI. But I feel the Guardala DG-500BN Black Nickel has much better tone color, more flexible than all the others (Except one Mark VI, Serial NO: 10XXX, which is in same level I like).

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB-913:
I bought a DG-501BN. I have play tested a YTS-62, Selmer Mark VII, Selmer Mark VI, Selmer SBA, during college (1969-70) I used a late 1960's Mark VI tenor that belonged to the music school, during college I owned a Buffet SDA, and last June I purchased a Cannonball Big Bell tenor and sold it early this year. The Guardala has a richer sound and better feel than any of those tenors except the late 60's Mark VI was just as good as the Guardala. The Mark VII was almost as good as the Guardala.

I have four mouthpieces that work well for me with the Guardala tenor: ESP, Tenney Link STM, Super Gonz I, and Morgan 8EL. I am thinking of selling two of those mouthpieces. [email protected]

I am still interested in feedback on the B&S Codera alto.

· Registered
572 Posts
Balladeer said:
MB-913:
I bought a DG-501BN. I have play tested a YTS-62, Selmer Mark VII, Selmer Mark VI, Selmer SBA, during college (1969-70) I used a late 1960's Mark VI tenor that belonged to the music school, during college I owned a Buffet SDA, and last June I purchased a Cannonball Big Bell tenor and sold it early this year. The Guardala has a richer sound and better feel than any of those tenors except the late 60's Mark VI was just as good as the Guardala. The Mark VII was almost as good as the Guardala.

I have four mouthpieces that work well for me with the Guardala tenor: ESP, Tenney Link STM, Super Gonz I, and Morgan 8EL. I am thinking of selling two of those mouthpieces. [email protected]

I am still interested in feedback on the B&S Codera alto.
Balladeer
1) OK, your Guardala is Pro Custom model (DG-501BN) and mine is Pro Artist (SG-500BN). I should get it within the next 2 days, I'll tell you how does it sounds like exactly (I just test it for 15 minutes but made my decision because much better than the others).

Sadly, I also want your model ( Pro Custom) but can't find a brand new horn. Have you compare it with the DG-500BN Pro Artist? Both are black nickel, just copper content is difference. I wonder how much difference in sound...

2) MP
Which MP you want to sell? What size of your ESP? I'm interested the ESP & Tenney Link STM. If you want to sell these 2 MP, why? You don't like the sound or it sounds too similar and you just want to keep one of them?

PS: Tenney Link STM ? Is it the new Tenney Select 7* Metal Link ?

· Registered
23 Posts
Balladeer,

the B&S-Codera is one of the most underrated horns (in the US).

I can say that because I did not sell them, just gave license to VMI Germany to manufacture them etc.

Wwandbw (excusive dealer in the US) hat a strange ad with a bi-color student-line looking prototype alto, which never was a series design.

That and the introductory price, which was far too low (yes, I mean "too low") did not catch the eyes of pros and collectors.

The resoblades are standard spare parts, if VMI Germany does not have them you can get them at Codera-windstruments & tools.

BTW if you purchase one of these saxes, take it to a repairman and let him check the flatness of the lowest five tone hole rims and tightness of the body-bow connection.

· Registered
23 Posts
phathorn,

the B&S-Coderas were produced until October 2000.
VMI Germany was the manufacturer and the distributor.

I got nice royalties but deceided to have more influence on the production process, distribution and advertisement (after having seen the US ad) and and...

That is why I was working on two own lines: the Codera Tresonance and the Codera Vintedge which will be still produced in Germany but finished, play-tested and distributed/marketed via Codera-windstruments&tools.

So it would be easy for me to say: don't buy a B&S Codera, wait for the real Coderas, the Tresonance and the Vintedge but I'm not that kind of guy...

P.S.: maybe you know the facts above but a lot of the forum members do not, that is why I am writing this reply

· Registered
174 Posts
As an owner of both the Codera Alto and tenor and a Codera Nickel Silver neck for my tenor, to say these horns are underrated is understatement the extreme Wolf!!
I love both horns, but especially the tenor. I just A-b'd the tenor with a Keilwerth SX-90R and a REF. 36 and it played and sounded better than both (and I like both the aforementioned JK and Selmer).

I bought the alto as collector's item, but so impressed that I had to buy the tenor as well and both have become alternate horns (depending on what sound I'm looking for, with my main axes.

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wolf,
You said that resoblade parts will be available through VMI or Codera. Do resoblades need maintenance? Does resoblade maintenance or replacement require a special repair technique that the average repairman lacks?

Wolf, what I wish to determine is whether the resoblades make the B&S Codera impractical to use professionally.

· Registered
23 Posts
Balladeer,

I posted it before (different thread) but I'll repeat it for people interested in buying the closeout priced B&S-Codera saxophones at wwandbw:

the most easy thing getting the resoblades replaced is to order the desired blade unit and replace it just using a screwdriver.
The "new" resoblade units (which are used on the Codera saxophones "Tresonance" and "Vintedge") available at Codera-windstruments&tools look a little different from the license blade units used by VMI for "their" B&S Codera horns but they can be easily used in the B&S Coderas.

The main difference is the later replacement, which means: it is less expensive using the Codera spare parts (sealing rings glued into screw mountable blade portions, decoupling elements and adjustment nuts) in contrast to the B&S Codera spare parts (glued sealing rings, glued acoustical decoupling elements and glued adjustment nuts).

However it is most important to let a repairman check whether the lowest five tone holes are flat and whether the body-bow connection is tight.

Having fixed these problems you get one of the best saxophones ever produced.

· Registered
23 Posts
T.S.,

I have some pre series (left and right hand pinky tables and the Eb keyguard are a little different) Tresonance tenors at my workshop.

I can offer them at a discount rate of about USD 3500,- .

The Codera Vintedge altos are the next horns to be produced, they will be available in September/October.

· Registered
174 Posts
Wolf-
Is the tresonance entirely reso-blades (with exception of smallest keys I suppose)? The Vintedge being a combination of Reso-blades and your vint-edge pads?

Is the body on these horns the Medusa body?

Thanks for the info.

· Registered
23 Posts
T.S.,

the Tresonance model is featuring Medusa body, resoblades on palm keys/trill keys/lowest five keys, Vintedge pads in the remaining cups, titanium clothguard (changes bell resonance), Codera Keyguards etc.

The Vintedge model is featuring resoblades just on the lowest five keys, Vintedge pads in the cups and the rest is like the Medusa.

Cork and felt are mostly replaced by synthetic materials, engravement is rich, Selmer style.

· Registered
2 Posts
Well... I just ordered a B&S Codera alto. It hasn't arrived yet, but I am really looking forward to trying it out. Perhaps if it works out well, I'll pick up a new style tenor.

I was a bit worried about replacement Reso-Blades, but it seems without warrent.

Wolf, the picture on WWBW's site (Laquer with Nickel keys) isn't correct? It did look a bit like a student horn from the picture.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.