Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think the horn being discussed in this thread may actually be a very rare B&S stencil??

My theory-

The Made in Germany stamping and serial number on this "SML" look very much like those on my B&S horns. A reference at saxpics has a quote:

"SML Strasser-Marigaux is an European musical instruments distributor member of the German group JA-Musik. Under the SML holding, we [have] two French instrument factories: Marigaux (Oboes) in Normandy and Antoine-Courtois (Brass) in Amboise."

B&S horns were stenciled as Courtois for some time, I cannot help but wonder if they were stenciled as SMLs for a very brief period as well? Too bad the auction pics aren't a little better, it almost looks as if there is more engraving under the SML logo. ..

If it is so, what model?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
I'm pretty sure its an early B&S 2001: all the visible details, including the way the serial number is stamped, are the same as on my early 2001 alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
I'll second that opinion. The bell guards, serial number position and appearance, the number 2001, and other visible features make this a likely B&S stencil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts