Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Forgive me for going off topic. I bought a BN Guardala (018XX) new from WW&BW. I had 2 BN's and a silver plate to choose from. The one I bought had extremely high key heights, but as compared to the other two has a sound that seems to envelope the player...from behind or in front of the horn. Lately, as I've started playing again and am aware that there is nothing Selmer-like about the sound, and that expression is limited compared to my YTS-61. The Guardala has no sizzle, and something of an unpleasant sound compared to a late VI. I guess I'm asking if anyone here has experienced this or has any thoughts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' clarinet
7,462 Posts
Does yours say “Made in Germany” on it? Perhaps you bought one of the few Amati ones.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Forgive me for going off topic. I bought a BN Guardala (018XX) new from WW&BW. I had 2 BN's and a silver plate to choose from. The one I bought had extremely high key heights, but as compared to the other two has a sound that seems to envelope the player...from behind or in front of the horn. Lately, as I've started playing again and am aware that there is nothing Selmer-like about the sound, and that expression is limited compared to my YTS-61. The Guardala has no sizzle, and something of an unpleasant sound compared to a late VI. I guess I'm asking if anyone here has experienced this or has any thoughts.
I have three B&S Guardala tenors and two 2001 series tenors. They are some of my favorites and the horn I play most often. I have owned or currently own most other tenors made, to include a YTS61. I personally think the B&S does a very close MKVI sound and feel. I own two of those as well. I do think the Yamaha 61 is a great tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,177 Posts
Yeah, a YTS61 can really be a great horn with an amazing ringing tone. Here’s a clip of Hollis Gentry (sadly gone but played a 61 Tenor and alto) playing one:

https://youtu.be/S3jQhvK8mqw

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah, a YTS61 can really be a great horn with an amazing ringing tone. Here’s a clip of Hollis Gentry (sadly gone but played a 61 Tenor and alto) playing one:

https://youtu.be/S3jQhvK8mqw
Wow. REALLY NICE! That horn could be passed off as ANY of the best horns. Which proves: if you sound great, you’ll sound pretty damn good on ANYthing that plays in tune!!

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I sell saxophones. I had a working rock player at my house one day. He played a Guardala, YTS61 and my 72 MKVI. He liked the 61 best. They sounded very similar to me. I sold the 61. I think one of the other elements of these comparisons is the mpc. I play B&S horns. I have over time picked out the mpcs that work best for me on those horns.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I sell saxophones. I had a working rock player at my house one day. He played a Guardala, YTS61 and my 72 MKVI. He liked the 61 best. They sounded very similar to me. I sold the 61. I think one of the other elements of these comparisons is the mpc. I play B&S horns. I have over time picked out the mpcs that work best for me on those horns.
Which mpcs remained after the testing and selection process (long process, I believe) as the best working and "cooperating" on yours B&S?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Which mpcs remained after the testing and selection process (long process, I believe) as the best working and "cooperating" on yours B&S?
Honestly, I've found my Allora B&S to be the most mouthpiece friendly horn I have, a YTS-62 and a Conn 10M are the other horns I have right now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
Im not sure how exhaustive my process has been but FWIW on alto I have been using a Selmer Super Session (E) for several years now, and on tenor its a Morgan Excalibur (7) that killed any GAS. Other than reeds I dont think Ive bought any sax related equipment for 5 years or more now.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,073 Posts
I own three 2001 and 2001 VI alto and tenors and I previously owned Blue Label alto and a B&S 1000. Ergonomics are the best I have tried in 40 years of playing

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
You are correct about a long process. I don't think they are in any way not mpc friendly its all subjective. I play a 10mfan Black Widow. I played a Robusto for a long time before that.

·
2,177 Posts
Very mouthpiece friendly and shapable tone, depending on the mpc you use. I generally go for a darker tone with an early Woodwind Company or Sumner piece. When I’m looking for a little edge or projection my go to piece is a metal link from the 80s I had Phil-Tone do his magic on.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Very mouthpiece friendly and shapable tone, depending on the mpc you use. I generally go for a darker tone with an early Woodwind Company or Sumner piece. When I’m looking for a little edge or projection my go to piece is a metal link from the 80s I had Phil-Tone do his magic on.
I think that's probably where the difficulty lies, it seems like pieces really can change the sound of the horn quite a bit.

·
2,177 Posts
I think that's probably where the difficulty lies, it seems like pieces really can change the sound of the horn quite a bit.
Isn’t that true of any horn? Why else would we all have several mouthpieces? Some are dark, some bright, some loud, etc... The mpc and reed effects the tone of every horn I’ve played.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Isn’t that true of any horn? Why else would we all have several mouthpieces? Some are dark, some bright, some loud, etc... The mpc and reed effects the tone of every horn I’ve played.
Not sure. My Yamaha 62 no matter what always seemed to sound pretty much the same. The character of my 10M seems to shine through whatever I use as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe Yamaha Men hid in the sax the secret of unchanging sound ;-)
But seriously, I agree with all of you - robbieg, Jerry K., saxcop - mpc is subjective thing, can change (with reed) the sound, but players decide about sound.
Best players technical skills and "voice apparatus" can make the sound more or less brightness or dark, smoother or agressive overtones, etc., but there is always a limit because of the mpc and reed material and construction characteristics. Sax decides about possibilities how far the player can achieve the sound target (acoustic perfection).
Before my first B&S I had to struggle with other 2 saxes, of course I did not know then that I was struggling, and that I could do the same better and easier ...
The better sax-mpc-reed - the best ending effect. And more health stays because less physical effort is needed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' clarinet
7,462 Posts
Yes, I agree with you KeyPi.

·
Registered
166 Posts
(... the better sax-mpc-reed - the best ending effect ... and more health stays... )
What we do not appreciate until we have health problems.
That's why I like B&S 2001 (and other B&S series) - solid and ergonomic, pleasure from low to high notes.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I think I bought the one you are talking about. Early 2001 with sandblasted / clear laquer finish. I am really not much of a sax player but the most intriguing thing about this horn is that I took it out to an unplugged matinee and managed to play in whisper mode (they usually don't allow anything louder than a blues harp) with a Streamline MPC / Peter Ponzol 2 1/2 reed - and it was the best-sounding super soft sax sound I have ever been able to produce. The mechanics are precision engineering with adjustable set screws, never seen anything quite like that.

·
2,177 Posts
... the best-sounding super soft sax sound I have ever been able to produce. The mechanics are precision engineering with adjustable set screws, never seen anything quite like that.
Far and away the best and easiest horns to play when it comes to sub-toning! Complex, rich, can whisper like no other! All modern day B&S horns have outstanding engineering, build quality and I’m sure they will outlive us all!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts