Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,197 Posts
Ive honestly never given it any thought, so I guess it must be more or less in the right place. I have often thought that the (BG?) Neck Strap that came with these horns was a pretty decent bit of kit.
Same here and not an issue on Blue Label, 2001 or Medusa.

·
2,197 Posts
Yeah, a YTS61 can really be a great horn with an amazing ringing tone. Here's a clip of Hollis Gentry (sadly gone but played a 61 Tenor and alto) playing one:

·
2,197 Posts
Very mouthpiece friendly and shapable tone, depending on the mpc you use. I generally go for a darker tone with an early Woodwind Company or Sumner piece. When I’m looking for a little edge or projection my go to piece is a metal link from the 80s I had Phil-Tone do his magic on.

·
2,197 Posts
I think that's probably where the difficulty lies, it seems like pieces really can change the sound of the horn quite a bit.
Isn't that true of any horn? Why else would we all have several mouthpieces? Some are dark, some bright, some loud, etc... The mpc and reed effects the tone of every horn I've played.

·
2,197 Posts
... the best-sounding super soft sax sound I have ever been able to produce. The mechanics are precision engineering with adjustable set screws, never seen anything quite like that.
Far and away the best and easiest horns to play when it comes to sub-toning! Complex, rich, can whisper like no other! All modern day B&S horns have outstanding engineering, build quality and I'm sure they will outlive us all!

·
2,197 Posts
Aside from the Blue Labels, can't say I've seen a three ring setup. I've owned most modern B&S horns and stencils and all had a single ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts