Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
What do you think about position (placement) of sling ring (tenor B&S 2001, but also in Blue Label and Medusa)?
Balance between the strap hook and sling ring is more on the right side in my opinion (comfortable for some, not necessarily preferred by others), comparing for example to the Trevor James Custom (where the ring is more on the left side).
Do not you think that the sling ring should be more on the left side?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the own impression that the position of sling ring on all (Blue Label, 2001, Medusa) causes a tendency to twist sax body, which requires stronger support of the fingers when playing (maybe not in every fingers combination).
It's not a problem, I even didn't notice it before I've tried Trevor James, for sure that was the moment I first noticed the difference. All B&S as above were fantastic build with super accurate intonation and tone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Soybean, I agree with you, I bought Stephen Howard sax book too, a lot of knowledge for me, but ...
a lot more about B&S were told here on SOTW, thanks for all owners.
Hmm, as about the sling ring, it's interesting and nice to hear that it was not the issue for other players.
It looks like the factory B&S never changed the conception of sling ring placement in tenor, I believe they had an idea - but what?
Maybe it's better for standing or sitting position? Or am I more twisted :) then B&S conception typical player? But why Trevor James put this ring position in other place (which I feel not twisted body-to-mouth line)? The other conception (and other feeling)?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe the placement of sling ring (3 "wholes" in older series) could be comfortable.
Soybean, It makes the sax body twist to the right (in the vertical axis).
I like all B&S a lot of, however some time ago when I played TJ Custom first time and felt the difference (as for ME, maybe it was ONLY my very own notion), I felt the need to change, improve it in B&S. So I did use special "balancing set", mounting it into the ring to have new "sling ring" more on the left side with the possibility of adjusting it's angle and distance from the sax body (it twist sax a little to the left).
This provided me with a comfortable fit and balance along the longitudinal and transverse axis, which added ergonomics and happiness to my hands and mouth.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I sell saxophones. I had a working rock player at my house one day. He played a Guardala, YTS61 and my 72 MKVI. He liked the 61 best. They sounded very similar to me. I sold the 61. I think one of the other elements of these comparisons is the mpc. I play B&S horns. I have over time picked out the mpcs that work best for me on those horns.
Which mpcs remained after the testing and selection process (long process, I believe) as the best working and "cooperating" on yours B&S?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe Yamaha Men hid in the sax the secret of unchanging sound ;-)
But seriously, I agree with all of you - robbieg, Jerry K., saxcop - mpc is subjective thing, can change (with reed) the sound, but players decide about sound.
Best players technical skills and "voice apparatus" can make the sound more or less brightness or dark, smoother or agressive overtones, etc., but there is always a limit because of the mpc and reed material and construction characteristics. Sax decides about possibilities how far the player can achieve the sound target (acoustic perfection).
Before my first B&S I had to struggle with other 2 saxes, of course I did not know then that I was struggling, and that I could do the same better and easier ...
The better sax-mpc-reed - the best ending effect. And more health stays because less physical effort is needed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
(... the better sax-mpc-reed - the best ending effect ... and more health stays... )
What we do not appreciate until we have health problems.
That's why I like B&S 2001 (and other B&S series) - solid and ergonomic, pleasure from low to high notes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ive only ever seen the three hole arrangement on Blue Labels
Yes, Canadiain, me the same - three hole patent on Blue Label, but I was asking about THIS 2001 (as quote in quotes).

In early 2001 there were three holes, what about the one of user -lostcircuits- , as was mentioned above (not so old version, I believe)?
Three or one hole?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 3 digit 2001 series. It only has one sling hole.
It's interesting, I have 3 digit 2001 B&S, number 5xx, but it has 3 holes.
saxcop, from what digit your's 3 digit number of 2001 starts (this one with 1 hole)?
And to be precise, I was talking about tenor. You meant tenor, as I did?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, I confirm - my B&S 2001 nr 5xx has three holes. The same like Blue Label has.

lostcircuits:
Saying 3 holes patent I meant peculiar, novel, unconventional - it looks like more brands have had it in their technology for a long time.
I'm not surprised, because it's an interesting and useful construction solution, I have been wondering why it is not widely used, it gives a comfortable balance. Anyway, in the later 2001, Medusa, etc. - brand B&S gave up 3-holes element in favor of the generally-used 1-hole sling ring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts