Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I have owned a black and silver Dave Guardala tenor that I purchased new in the late 90's. It has an early serial number. I own two other Guardala tenors. I currently own a late serial, B&S 2001 tenor, and a Medusa alto. (5 B&S horns) . I believe the only difference is the non stick G# as already stated. I have only played the one alto. I have never played the blue or gold label older ones.

These horns are my main players. I think they are very good. To put that in perspective: I compared them to virtually every other tenor made, most of which I own as well.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
comparing the Guardala 8xxx, 2001 series 6xx and the newer 2001 with G# no stick. The all sound the same. The early 2001 is a little more punchy than the later 2001. The early one does not have an extra spring they put on the low C# mechanism. It also does not have a pearl on the side high F# key.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Forgive me for going off topic. I bought a BN Guardala (018XX) new from WW&BW. I had 2 BN's and a silver plate to choose from. The one I bought had extremely high key heights, but as compared to the other two has a sound that seems to envelope the player...from behind or in front of the horn. Lately, as I've started playing again and am aware that there is nothing Selmer-like about the sound, and that expression is limited compared to my YTS-61. The Guardala has no sizzle, and something of an unpleasant sound compared to a late VI. I guess I'm asking if anyone here has experienced this or has any thoughts.
I have three B&S Guardala tenors and two 2001 series tenors. They are some of my favorites and the horn I play most often. I have owned or currently own most other tenors made, to include a YTS61. I personally think the B&S does a very close MKVI sound and feel. I own two of those as well. I do think the Yamaha 61 is a great tenor.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I sell saxophones. I had a working rock player at my house one day. He played a Guardala, YTS61 and my 72 MKVI. He liked the 61 best. They sounded very similar to me. I sold the 61. I think one of the other elements of these comparisons is the mpc. I play B&S horns. I have over time picked out the mpcs that work best for me on those horns.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Which mpcs remained after the testing and selection process (long process, I believe) as the best working and "cooperating" on yours B&S?
You are correct about a long process. I don't think they are in any way not mpc friendly its all subjective. I play a 10mfan Black Widow. I played a Robusto for a long time before that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts