Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
588 Posts
Thanks a lot ffjay, i love Branford's playing here and went looking for a transcription and you've done it!!

· Registered
588 Posts
anyone know - what is that two-bar quotation at 0:39, right after the double bar line??

· Registered
3,347 Posts
anyone know - what is that two-bar quotation at 0:39, right after the double bar line??
Maybe it's Exactly Like You that you're hearing ? All the same, I don't believe it's intended as a quote - it's just a phrase that suggests itself organically, or naturally at this point.

And thanks to the OP for this excellent transcription.

· Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,795 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's cool pattern based on major triad. It sounds very similar to Willis "Gatortail" Jackson from his solo in Later for The Gator 01:10

· Registered
588 Posts
It's cool pattern based on major triad. It sounds very similar to Willis "Gatortail" Jackson from his solo in Later for The Gator 01:10

I'm pretty sure both Branford and Willis are quoting the same tune - some old Dixieland* standard, maybe??

<edit> *it reminds me more of a Calypso, if I'm honest....

· Registered
588 Posts
it isn't "Bebop", it isn't "Exactly like you", and it isn't a calypso.
my old pal accordionist Harry Hussey knew right away-
"Many long years ago, A fellow named Robin Hood;
He used to rob the rich. Most every chance he could. "

Louis Prima might be the nicest version , others by Les Brown, Tony Pastor bands.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it isn't "Bebop", it isn't "Exactly like you", and it isn't a calypso.
my old pal accordionist Harry Hussey knew right away-
"Many long years ago, A fellow named Robin Hood;
He used to rob the rich. Most every chance he could. "

Louis Prima might be the nicest version , others by Les Brown, Tony Pastor bands.
Thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.