Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This superb Blakey tune I played a little while ago has been on my mind for the TOTM for a while now! Michael made it sound like an even better idea, so this month we'll be playing some Moanin'! Check out this cool live track

I've uploaded the sheets and included my personal favorite youtube track here: Moanin - TOTM - Google Drive

I'm thinking this could make for some cool arrangements if anyone would like to share one!

And with that said, here is my alto take from 2 months ago:

I'll be looking to improve and maybe do something fun myself :D Look forward to hearing everyone!

· Premium Member
21,128 Posts
Nice pick Jared.

I have an old 2013 recording comparing a metal Berg Larsen 150/2 SMS with my Florida no USA 10* Otto Link:

Recorded on the same horn (1953 Selmer SBA tenor) and reed (La Voz medium).
  • Berg is on the right channel in the first solo (starting at 1:03)
  • Link is on the left channel in the second solo (starting at 3:00)
  • Chase choruses start at 4:57 (it's a long take!)
The Berg is a bit more gritty and less complex sounding compared to the Florida Link.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Nice pick Jared.

I have an old 2013 recording comparing a metal Berg Larsen 150/2 SMS with my Florida no USA 10* Otto Link:

The Berg is a bit more gritty and less complex sounding compared to the Florida Link.
Peter, I listened your track with great pleasure (right after PM :)).
Absolutely attractive for me in general and by each categorie (sound, creativity, technique et etc).
Loved two channels - 2 pieces sound game. There is a difference that creates nice points for listener.
Very talkative version. Really.

I want to grab the sax right now but have to wait one more day after easy going yesterday's dental implant procedure :).
At least I can pick a guitar.
Thanks for sharing this beautiful recording.
Michael.

Reactions: J-Moen and mrpeebee

· Registered
4,763 Posts
Nice playing Jared & peebee

not sure why there haven’t been more postings on this tune, it isn’t a tune that I have played but I was able to read through the head fairly quickly and it’s a lot of fun. Trying not to hear Benny’s solo from the original in my head as that just isn’t going to happen for me.

I have had practice sessions two days on a row for the first time in a long time and today I was using a new mouthpiece for the first time in over ten years. It’s a philtone intrepid and I think I am in love, I have barely practiced since last November and this made me feel like I had been practicing daily for months. It sn’t a huge change from my Lamberson, but it just feels easier, I hope to be able post something soon.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
4,113 Posts
Ooooooooh. The epitome of groovy hard-bop. The live version by the Messengers linked above is so definitive. Benny Golson’s sound in the low octave is killing. Still a mystery for me. None of the other post-bop tenor players achieve that sound. One of a kind.

Sorry. Not the subject of the thread, but I just can’t resist. Thanks anyway for picking that iconic tune.

Reactions: J-Moen

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Ooooooooh. The epitome of groovy hard-bop. The live version by the Messengers linked above is so definitive. Benny Golson’s sound in the low octave is killing. Still a mystery for me. None of the other post-bop tenor players achieve that sound. One of a kind.

Sorry. Not the subject of the thread, but I just can’t resist. Thanks anyway for picking that iconic tune.
do you plan to record ? Should be very interesting.

Reactions: dexdex and swperry1

· Registered
1,242 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
4,113 Posts
do you plan to record ? Should be very interesting.
Too many things in parallel these days. Not sure I’ll find the time. The question/answer nature of the tune implies several layers, thus some planning, thus more time.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: Alex Nyman

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice pick Jared.

You had a lovely sound to start the head and really liked the hits on the chords! What a great comparison. Seemed to be fighting you on that berg though. I love your falls, very well executed!. I must say your sound on the link is back to home for me - pure and full! Screaming up into the altissimo too! Awesome chorus exchanges between the two! All around a fantastic take, thanks so much for sharing

wanted to listen some other than original "Moanin" and felt on this
I think it can bring to this TOTM couple of bari players :)

Charles Mingus - Moanin' - YouTube
Well now - don't want to get the two songs confused! The Mingus song is fantastic and all, but I was hoping to keep this to the song by Bobby Timmons and played by the Jazz Messengers. With that said, Cuber on this version from Mingus Big Band is EPIC, one of the all time greatest solos. Also Pepper Adams on the original was spectacular.

The vocal take you shared is fantastic though :D

And here’s my take on this one…..

https://soundcloud.com/alex-nyman-759436259%2Fmorning
Thanks for listening if you have time.
Alex😎
Starts off with such a sweet subtle sound! You really captured the emotion, can feel the energy building up and subside and repeat as you play the melody. And then you just let it build and build throughout that solo until after 2 minutes where you just start RIPPING into it! I don't think I've grooved along so hard to a take on this song and this one always gets me grooving. Major props! Thanks so much as always Alex. I'll have this playing all month and try to hope for 10% of that amazingness to come across in my final take!

· Registered
1,760 Posts
You had a lovely sound to start the head and really liked the hits on the chords! What a great comparison. Seemed to be fighting you on that berg though. I love your falls, very well executed!. I must say your sound on the link is back to home for me - pure and full! Screaming up into the altissimo too! Awesome chorus exchanges between the two! All around a fantastic take, thanks so much for sharing

Well now - don't want to get the two songs confused! The Mingus song is fantastic and all, but I was hoping to keep this to the song by Bobby Timmons and played by the Jazz Messengers. With that said, Cuber on this version from Mingus Big Band is EPIC, one of the all time greatest solos. Also Pepper Adams on the original was spectacular.

The vocal take you shared is fantastic though :D

Starts off with such a sweet subtle sound! You really captured the emotion, can feel the energy building up and subside and repeat as you play the melody. And then you just let it build and build throughout that solo until after 2 minutes where you just start RIPPING into it! I don't think I've grooved along so hard to a take on this song and this one always gets me grooving. Major props! Thanks so much as always Alex. I'll have this playing all month and try to hope for 10% of that amazingness to come across in my final take!
You are very kind Jared. Thank you for listening it’s much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing your takes on this and Triste (further I should say) Cheers 🍻

· Registered
3,469 Posts
Tomorrow will afford me a listening opportunity. Today afforded a little playing time. Still fighting my lungs a bit (cough has been worse since starting to play again). I muffed about four takes before getting through this one.

Moanin'

[My wife used to have a CD alarm clock, and this was my wake-up tune. #doinItRight]

· Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,616 Posts
@J-Moen : nice first take with a lot of great ideas flowing. Interested to hear your later-month versions…maybe on tenor or bari?

@mrpeebee : A power player like me! I like the Link sound better, but always a pleasure!

@Alex Nyman: Well done as always, Sir! A great all around listen.

@BayviewSax: Playing with a cough is the worst, hope you’re feeling better soon! Dig your strong bari tone with lots of bark and bite. Would love to hear a little more intent and direction in your lines.

· Registered
4,763 Posts
Alex and Thom are way beyond me in terms of ability (who isn't!!), but I did have a listen to both and thoroughly enjoyed both. Hope you feel better soon Thom.

I had a proud dad moment this morning when my daughter whistled most of the A section to Moanin and said "remember that song dad"? That was after she had been noodling on her piano picking out melodies by ear, she is going to surpass me by a mile before she leaves grade 1 (she just turned six).

· Registered
3,469 Posts
J-Moen - Man, you nailed the lead-in line to the improv on this. That's always the most stressful moment for me -- getting started. You seem to be pretty cautious, here. As such, really looking forward to the updated take. Once you got more comfortable here, I enjoyed the story and it really makes me appreciate the journey you're taking (so get recording!!!). :D

mrpeebee - Thought about doing a multi-horn take but decided against it. You have me re-thinking that. Aw, man! Love that honk to start the solo -- epic! Digging the breathy Berg, here, particularly the double-time spurts. Solid throughtout -- Link has it's work cut out. Ah, the Link is not intimidated in the least. You seem to stay more in your lane on the Link (meaning you stretch a bit more with the Berg). But, that Link core has a bit more of a focus to it (love the spread nature of the Berg, though). Aw, man! Find that danged note! Love it! Fun ride all the way through, man.

cleger - TOTALLY hear you on trying NOT to hear BG's solo! Congrats on the offspring with the great ears!

Alex Nyman - Wow. You somehow hit EVERY key note, and only those. I tip my cap, sir. There's a moment shortly after the 2 minute mark where you really channeled a young Kenny Garrett (OTB years). Got to the end of the improv and I was thinking, "Uh-oh, is he gonna get back?" Of course you were. :D

swperry1 - "Would love to hear a little more intent and direction in your lines." Me too, boss, me too. :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts