Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a couple of days early, but I probably wouldn't be able to get this posted until next Monday if I don't do it now, so here we go.

The tune for October is slated to be Let's Cool One, by Thelonious Monk. Don't let the Monk source scare you, this tune is relatively straightforward and I don't think it is out of place for the B&I area.

I have attached leadsheets in concert, Bb and Eb. I have also included a handwritten leadsheet in concert that I got from a friend who passed quite a while ago, he went to Berklee back in the 60s and was a great source for information and stories. I included that one as the chords are different and it also includes the notation for the way that the Monk quartet ended the form on the Misterioso album, so it may be of interest to some of you (or not).

Rectangle Line Font Slope Parallel
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Number
Music Sheet music Font Rectangle Parallel
Rectangle Line Font Parallel Slope

I have a few backings that I have created in iReal and Band in a Box. I used to have BIAB installed on an old laptop that I had at home (when I used to have a music room), I bought an updated version to install on my current laptop and it has changed dramatically since I last used BIAB and I can't seem to get the render to wav or mp3 to work (everything is over-amplified and distorted). So, I am putting up an iReal version at 140bpm and a BIAB version that I did a little over 10 years ago and still have a copy of. It feels like around 180bpm, but I don't know for sure (significantly faster tempo in any case). I find the 140bpm feels like the "right" tempo for me as I believe that is approximately what Monk played it at.

~180bpm
https://soundcloud.com/cleger15%2Flets-cool-one-renderwav

140bpm
https://soundcloud.com/cleger15%2Flets-cool-one2
To me, this is the definitive version. It's the Monk quartet with Johnny Griffin on tenor, played live at the 5 spot in the late 50s. This quartet was apparently fairly short-lived and came after the quartet with John Coltrane, but before Sonny Rollins and Charlie Rouse.

I also found a more recent video from Chad LB that struck me as a great interpretation of the tune as well:

Apologies for the long post, hopefully there will be some interest in the tune.

· Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to start things off at a suitably low level, here is a recording I made around ten years ago of this tune (using the above 180bpm backing). I hope to be able to make a recording at some point in the next month or so, we shall see if I can improve on my decade ago self.

https://soundcloud.com/cleger15%2Flets-cool-one-031412

· Registered
103 Posts
I had also never heard of the tune until I was "banned" to home office in spring 2020 and had a lot of time at my hands to spend on YouTube where I came across the Chad LB video shown above. Did some search for other versions and bought the Grossman album shown above.

I then started a Covid-Home-Office-Avoid-Cabin-Fever-Regime under which I took it upon my self to record a tune every second day (practice one day, record on the second) to give my day more structure. Let's Cool One was the first of those tunes:

https://soundcloud.com/user-740456260%2Flets-cool-one
The backing track is clearly too long but I only learned how to mess with the backing tracks a bit later on my Covid-Journey.

· Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one ufosax, you made good use of the extra choruses of improv to build a great solo.

At least something good came out of lockdown for you.

· Registered
1,260 Posts
I had also never heard of the tune until I was "banned" to home office in spring 2020 and had a lot of time at my hands to spend on YouTube where I came across the Chad LB video shown above. Did some search for other versions and bought the Grossman album shown above.

I then started a Covid-Home-Office-Avoid-Cabin-Fever-Regime under which I took it upon my self to record a tune every second day (practice one day, record on the second) to give my day more structure. Let's Cool One was the first of those tunes:

The backing track is clearly too long but I only learned how to mess with the backing tracks a bit later on my Covid-Journey.
Nice playing, nice sound!

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,961 Posts
Great pick, and what a cool bunch of versions. I'm super excited for this. I love Monk and this one is new to me, so I've been really enjoying listening to it! I've added this to the B&I TOTM Index here: SOTW Beginners/Intermediates TOTM (Tune of the Month) -...

Quick note: Your backings are not downloadable. In order to do that, you have to edit the song in Soundcloud and enable direct download in the permissions tab.

· Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great pick, and what a cool bunch of versions. I'm super excited for this. I love Monk and this one is new to me, so I've been really enjoying listening to it! I've added this to the B&I TOTM Index here: SOTW Beginners/Intermediates TOTM (Tune of the Month) -...

Quick note: Your backings are not downloadable. In order to do that, you have to edit the song in Soundcloud and enable direct download in the permissions tab.
Thanks for pointing out the download issue, that has been rectified.

I can’t wait to hear a version from you.

· Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am hoping to get some practice time this week on this tune, in the meantime here is a completely different take on the tune from David Murray and Aki Takase (Bass clarinet & piano). I like the stripped down aspect of this one that allows for a lot more freedom of interpretation, but the tune is still identifiable. I also have a version in my library, along the same line, that is a duo with Ellery Eskelin and Han Bennink, but it appears that nobody has put that up on youtube for me to share.

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts

· Registered
1,260 Posts
Reactions: mrpeebee and cleger

· Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's been a fairly quiet start, so I am going to post my works in progress.

I think I need to consider a consultation with an instructor to make a plan for learning to improvise over chords. I feel like I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to come up with a plan to effectively practice that skill. My thought today was to play it over a slow backing with vibes playing the chords (I find I hear the changes better in iReal when I use vibes). Not entirely successful, but not my worst work either. I am also starting to get comfortable with the Philtone intrepid that is about a month old, when I started I had it pushed in where my Lamberson was in tune, I quickly realized that the shank is much shorter on the philtone and it doesn't need to be pushed in quite so far.

https://soundcloud.com/cleger15%2Flet-s-cool-one-slow-vibes-10-3-22
I also recorded an acapella version at the end of my session, just for fun and to try out some different phrasing without being penned in by a backing.

https://soundcloud.com/cleger15%2Flco-acapella-10-3-22
These were both recorded using my iPhone and the multitrack DAW app.

· Registered
882 Posts
I was just refacing a vintage Bundy HR mouthpiece with the large round chamber - decided to take a stab at transcribing the Chad LB version. I've only gotten a short ways into it but here is the first little bit of it. I put an EQ on the original track to pull out all of the midrange (effort to remove as much of Chad LB as possible) and then mixed the backing track very low in the background just to give some hint of a backing track behind my sax track.
I make these funky string ligatures by sewing a section on the top once I have them fitted - that way I can just slide them on and off easily without having to tie them each time. They really work well and cost nothing but a few minutes of my time with a needle and thread and some string. :p
https://soundcloud.com/user-460666353%2Flets-cool-one-testing-a-refaced-vintage-hr-bundy-092

· Registered
1,760 Posts
I was just refacing a vintage Bundy HR mouthpiece with the large round chamber - decided to take a stab at transcribing the Chad LB version. I've only gotten a short ways into it but here is the first little bit of it. I put an EQ on the original track to pull out all of the midrange (effort to remove as much of Chad LB as possible) and then mixed the backing track very low in the background just to give some hint of a backing track behind my sax track.
I make these funky string ligatures by sewing a section on the top once I have them fitted - that way I can just slide them on and off easily without having to tie them each time. They really work well and cost nothing but a few minutes of my time with a needle and thread and some string. :p
https://soundcloud.com/user-460666353%2Flets-cool-one-testing-a-refaced-vintage-hr-bundy-092
That’s a great sound Blaine and great transcribing and playing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts