Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I have the honor to host the Beginner and Intermediate TOTM and chose „So nice (Summer Samba)“. The song (original „Samba de Verao“) was written in the mid 60s by Marcos and Paulo Valle and got soon well known by versions of the organ player Walter Wanderley, Astrud Gilberto and others.
This should be the perfect song for August – at least on the northern hemisphere ;)

There are lot’s of little chromatic passages in the melody and some interesting extended chord progressions, but I hope, everybody loves to play this little nice piece more than finding the difficulties annoying.

Here are some dots in C, Bb, Eb and G (so that Sonja for example can join us with her alto flute ;) )and some backings (there are a lot more on youtube and it would be nice if you would share, if you find a one you like especially)

Most of the versions I listened to feature female singers – here are a few:

Hoping for many contributions – and have a nice August
Dirk

PS: Posting this in the halftime pause of the final of the women's soccer european cup - so back to tv now.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my favourites Dirk😎 beautiful choice❤
And sorry about the football 🥺
So nice that you took the time to comfort me ;) (great playing from both teams!) and so nice that you like the song as much as I do!

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
Well I wasn't familiar with this tune, but I decided to go and try playing without listening to it ever :D. It definitely shows, but its so cool. Love the chromaticism! Very pleased with this tune. Looking forward to a stellar month. I've added it to the B&I TOTM Index here: SOTW Beginners/Intermediates TOTM (Tune of the Month) -...

And here's that first baseline take with zero listening (not recommended btw :D), looking forward to building on this one and having fun with it! One note - due to a massive user error, this was recorded with lots of room noise and the wrong mic across the room and off to my side! :LOL:
https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fsummer-samba

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Well I wasn't familiar with this tune, but I decided to go and try playing without listening to it ever :D. It definitely shows, but its so cool. Love the chromaticism! Very pleased with this tune. Looking forward to a stellar month. I've added it to the B&I TOTM Index here: SOTW Beginners/Intermediates TOTM (Tune of the Month) -...

And here's that first baseline take with zero listening (not recommended btw :D), looking forward to building on this one and having fun with it! One note - due to a massive user error, this was recorded with lots of room noise and the wrong mic across the room and off to my side! :LOL:
https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fsummer-samba
I think that’s really great for a sight unseen first try. Kudos.

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
Here’s my take on this one.

https://soundcloud.com/alex-nyman-759436259%2Fsummer-samba

I used a Mad Professor Snow White Autowah on one Alto track and doubled the head on untreated Alto.

Three choruses all up.

Thank you for listening if you have time.

Alex
That Wah just FITS on this song. Love the effect! Your timing and rhythm here is outstanding. Really emphasizes the importance to this style of music. Going to be a month of practicing my time and rhythm feel methinks. Thanks for another huge inspiration!

I think that’s really great for a sight unseen first try. Kudos.
Much appreciated - Now to get to work on listening to the pros (yours is going on repeat for now though :D)

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alex, I KNEW I like your own version of this song, but I loved it even a lot more than I expected. This wah sounds so great on this track, beside your stellar playing! Such an easy an uplifting summer mood. If Matt Bianco would search a successor for Ronnie Ross to play that perfect pop samba solo you'd be THE MAN!

Jared, this is very nice and smooth playing of the head and your impro is so melodic and has a natural flow. I really love it!

Ufosax, so nice, how your lines flow and your melodic ideas come up!

I'm sitting here with a big smile at my desktop. Day one and three really wonderful versions to listen. I haven't set up my recording space yet, but I'm really looking foreward to do this and be inspired by your playing.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here's my first attempt with alto sax. Interesting for me to hear that I'm so much behind the beat (I'd like to play laid back but not out of time). Now that's something to work on!

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Here's my first attempt with alto sax. Interesting for me to hear that I'm so much behind the beat (I'd like to play laid back but not out of time). No that's something to work on!
Dirk, there is no link in your post.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you Michael - post edited.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Here's my first attempt with alto sax. Interesting for me to hear that I'm so much behind the beat (I'd like to play laid back but not out of time). Now that's something to work on!

Hi Dirk. That’s a nice first take. If I might make one suggestion? Before starting I took one almighty big breath that gets you through the first 8 bars without needing to take a breath. It makes keeping up to the tempo and not falling behind much easier. At this tempo getting a breath in is not so easy. And because it’s quite fast playing the first 8 on one breath isn’t too difficult😎 I like how you are making the changes and maybe there are just a few where the scale to chord would be useful to know better but I’m sure you know that already. The phrasing is nice and tight to the tempo. And I like your sound. Nicely recorded too😎 I’d love to hear if that big breath makes a difference if you record it again🙏

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you so much, Alex, for your very helpful hints! I took a deep sip of wine first, but I'm not shure if this helped my timing ;)
Both tips about breathing and some chord notes were great. I really had some takes where I managed to play these 8 bars in one row and thought they were good regarding timing, but they were not really (like in bar 3 in this recording, which is really off). I noticed that in former recordings of mine, too, so that's what I really have to focus on. It's mainly on sax, not so much on flute, so there's hope.
Anyway, here's another take on alto:

PS: I found a wrong chord in the leadsheet I provided - it's (concert) Am7, not A7 in bar 9 (so nice)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts