Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear TOTM afficionados,

thank you all for letting me pick the TOTM in the Beginner/Intermediate departement for April 2022. As you can see in the title, I chose „Agua de Beber“ from the great brasilian songwriter duo Jobim/Moraes.

It is said, that they got the inspiration for this song working on a symphony to be played in the new capital of Brasil in 1959, when they heared some water running in their room.

When they asked someone, where this noise came from, they got the answer „água de beber, camára“ (it’s drinking water, my friend)!

True story? Yes of course – I read it on the internet 😉

I’ve linked some legendary recordings from this song, mainly from singers.

I’m shure lot’s of great sax players recorded this song – but didn’t find too much tracks on YT. It would be great if you could link some recordings you like.

Harmonically this song can be played mainly by ear, even if their a quite a few differing versions out. I chose to stay in the key of Am, but you’ll find backings and sheets in other keys (Dm, Cm ….).

The intro/interlude is really bluesy, so that the bluesscale would nicely fit for improvising.

The verse is made from ii V I – progressions in Am and C, followed by a row of chromatically descending chords.

The chorus is in Am again, with that characteristic break on the E7#9-Chord (or a Em half diminished)

But as I said already – imho you can get some real nice colors out oft he various reharmonisations, or you just don’t overthink it and play what you feel by ear….

Leadsheets in C, Bb, and Eb and some backing can be found here.

I’m hoping for many contributions this month! All the best

Dirk

Reactions: 10mfan

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,328 Posts
Thank you so much for including those tracks from Astrud and Tania! Astrud‘s voice is so pure, and Tania carries so much fire. Two of my favorite voices to listen to.

Here’s a group that finds a space in the middle of the two:

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here’s a group that finds a space in the middle of the two:
very nice and classy!

A rendition by my favourite but unfortunately no longer existing bossa nova group:
wonderful voice! And it sounds perfectly brazilian for a non brazilian band! Ifind the sax sounding a bit edgy in the intro unison.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Premium Member
21,128 Posts
In 2012 I was asked by a Jazz combo to replace their tenor player, because they had some gigs close after that guy left and needed a new tenor player for those gigs. I did a few rehearsals with them, but didn't really like the reportoire and style they played. The female singer also didn't have a big range, so most of the numbers they played had to be done in a 'strange' key.

I have an amateur recording of the first live gig I did with this band in Haarlem (NL) at 18-March-2012. One of the tunes we played was the current TOTM 'Aqua De Beber', which we played in the key of Eb (or Cm, concert key). I play a short un-inspired solo starting at 2:14. I also remember my reed didn't speak well just before the concert started, so I picked my back-up mouthpiece (an 1970's Otto Link Early Babbitt 10) and slapped a Fribracell 3 reed on it just before the start of the concert.

Long story, here is the (not so great) music:

- 'Aqua De Beber' (Early Babbitt 10 - Firbracell 3):

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peter, as everybody knows, you have recorded every song - but it's really nice to hear every month that you really recorded every tune ;) And that you find every song on your hard disc ;)
I really like that band, the atmosphere with the talking people etc. Those were the days (and hopefully they come back soon)!

· Premium Member
21,128 Posts
Peter, as everybody knows, you have recorded every song - but it's really nice to hear every month that you really recorded every tune ;) And that you find every song on your hard disc ;)
I really like that band, the atmosphere with the talking people etc. Those were the days (and hopefully they come back soon)!
Thanks Dirk!

I have a good index (in Excel) of all mij recordings, so that makes it easy to find tunes back (this tune was not in that index, but I remembered we did play it). That Sunday afternoon gig in Haarlem was indeed very relaxed with a lot of families with younger children in de audience. With my current band we have four options (2 are already confirmed) for the coming period, so things seem to gradully coming back to 'normal'!

· Registered
4,763 Posts
Yeah, I was about to type the same thing, is there a tune that Peebee has not recorded? It does sound like a nice gig and nice playing as always.

I had a few minutes to play this morning at the office while waiting for one of my staff to come in to help with an inventory count. I have been playing so little for the past 5-6 years that I find my reading has gotten really bad (it was never great to begin with) and I find it takes a lot longer to get a tune under my fingers. I had a rough read through the tune and I really like the feel of it but I haven't recorded anything yet and may not get there, but I will try. Nice choice Dirk!

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
An absolutely beautiful song. Can't wait to learn it. I've added it to the B&I Index here

Thanks so much for hosting, looking forward to hearing some beautiful renditions.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice, that both TOTMs are Jobim tunes this month. I hope that I can do another recording later this weekend of Meditation. But for now it's Agua de Beber on my new saxscape live mouthpiece (with a java 2 1/2 reed). Really nice to play, but have to experiment a bit with reeds.

Keep your tracks comin'!

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Pieced this together from a couple of takes. This was my favorite backing but the form wasn't meshing until i listened to it over and over in edit. So thats why I pieced it back together :). Love the way alto sounds on this one, going to build on that!
https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fagua-de-beber

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The alto sounds indeed really nice here, Jared! I especially like the singing, “desmondesque„ high register just before the head starts again.
I had the same problem following this backing like you. Perhaps because this track (others, too) have a sort of a „jazz standard approach“ in not emphasizing/separating the various parts, whereas this song is clearly built in songform with intro, verse and chorus (I hope this makes sense in english) In my recording I just ignored when I lost the form and played on …

Reactions: J-Moen

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
The alto sounds indeed really nice here, Jared! I especially like the singing, “desmondesque„ high register just before the head starts again.
I had the same problem following this backing like you. Perhaps because this track (others, too) have a sort of a „jazz standard approach“ in not emphasizing/separating the various parts, whereas this song is clearly built in songform with intro, verse and chorus (I hope this makes sense in english) In my recording I just ignored when I lost the form and played on …
Thanks so much Dirk! Haha, yeah I also just played on when I lost the form ( the entire improv really). I had to piece together the outgoing melody. I wasn't hearing the intro repeated in the various sections until I listened to it over and over and realized it was returning to the top and no longer running any repeats.

· Registered
3,468 Posts
My mind had this in another neighborhood, but anyway, here's a take. I have ZERO Jazz versions of this in my collection (which seems very odd). The music teacher where I used to work always had kids learning this tune and I loved his arrangement of it (he wrote all the arrangements because the school had no money for things like texts/charts). This one fought me. And now, I really need some... wait for it... Agua de Beber

· Registered
3,468 Posts
mrepeebee — loved the lead-in to your solo, perfect line. Your punctuating phrases matching the rhythm section were also really tasteful. Constructively, you seemed to get into a pattern in the middle of the solo where you were repeating the same phrase — I think my ear wanted to hear it played perhaps in a different interval. Very melodic playing that complimented the feel nicely.

Taragot — Man, LOVE your sound on this. You’re blending in there so nicely, and you play off that feel perfectly. Very jealous of your ability to nail the phrasing — that gave me FITS! You manage to rip some very blues-oriented lines in here, but without losing the feel of the Bossa nova. I think there is something very Harold Vick about your playing on this. Loved your comments to J-Moen — glad to know I wasn’t the only one to lose a page on the map!

J-Moen — No foul in merging takes — Mingus did it all the time! I find myself sometimes getting caught up at the end of a chorus and then just stopping, and picking up on a second take. I try not to, but sometimes, it’s the best way to stumble through; mad props to you video guys! Really appreciate the lyricism in your phrases here. I think a lesson from Mr. Getz for all of us when playing this music is to stay close to the melody. To my ear, your time seems better on the out chorus. Another strong take(s).

· Registered
416 Posts
What a great choice for this month! I only previously knew the Astrid version so I really enjoyed seeing some of the other linked performances, especially Tania Maria - wow!

Some excellent takes already posted this month. Great work Dirk, Jarred, and also from Peter's extensive back catalogue!

As simple as they sound I always find it these Bossa classics hard to solo over. I really struggle to do much more than play very basic variations of the melody - as you will hear!

Bill

https://soundcloud.com/user-826011730%2Fagua-de-beber

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Bayview Sax: I heared your Bari-Meditation Take yesterday, and knew that "Agua de Beber" would be great again. There is really not the slightest reason to be jealous about anything - this is a very straight and strong track!

@Bill: I love this lively "bouncy" rhythmical quality you pair with a relaxed sound. And especially with song it's a very good idea to play the melody of the chorus or the interlude. Very good!

Reactions: Swaman and mrpeebee

· Registered
416 Posts
[QUOTE="Taragot, post: 4408591, member: 47944"
@Bill: I love this lively "bouncy" rhythmical quality you pair with a relaxed sound. And especially with song it's a very good idea to play the melody of the chorus or the interlude. Very good!
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for those very kind words, and also for choosing such a great tune this month. I have enjoyed the challenge so much that I might even attempt 'Meditation'!

Bill

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.