Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm used to lipping down my c#'s on alto, that's been a "given" in my journey. But after having my alto's octave floater key fixed, I find that I now have to lip up my B and B flat. (Re: the octave key, it was falling off periodically because the part itself is stripped of threads--being vintage '36, part not replaceable, so my tech had to wedge it in.) I'm curious to know whether the octave key might previously not have been opening enough, so I developed a habit of lipping up the B and B flats, or whether it's only now out of whack intonation-wise when it wasn't before. Another thing I notice after the repair is that when I play middle D after being in the high register, I have to adjust my embouchure into the middle register more, or it gives me a multiphonic with the high overtone.

Funny thing is, my new-to-me tenor has the same B, B flat issue. I can learn to lip it up, but if I should just get something on the sax adjusted, I'd rather do that.

Anyone have time to offer opinions?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my mouthpiece alone, on tenor I get concert G, on alto, concert G#. Musical instrument Automotive lighting Brass instrument Vehicle Automotive exterior
The attached pic shows the octave key that had been messing up. the rod was falling out, and when it did, the key would begin to fall off. I had to push it back in several times in one gig. The rod is wedged in now so it won't fall.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are shots of the key heights on my tenor. Probably hard to tell anything? Musical instrument Light Gun accessory Auto part Metal
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Brass instrument

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And here are the alto keys Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Wind instrument Brass instrument Auto part
Musical instrument Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Brass instrument Wind instrument

1 - 4 of 4 Posts