Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I'm trying to understand your post. Do you mean C#3 when you talk about lipping down? That is not uncommon because C#3 tends to be a sharp note on most saxes. The B and Bb not so much. According to Gary Scavone's thesis, the neck octave vent is in the ideal position for the note B which means that the octave between B2 and B3 should not be affected by the opening of the octave key. What note do you tune to on alto? Is it the same on tenor?

I totally don't get what you mean by the "octave floater key" and your tech having to "wedge it in". Perhaps a photo might help to clarify those terms. One thing I can share is that if someone plays too high on the mouthpiece input pitch, it forces the mouthpiece to be pulled farther off the cork to bring the sax down to A=440. Changing the length of the saxophone by moving the mouthpiece in or out has a greater effect upon the "short tube notes" because the change in distance is a larger percentage of those note's wavelengths. [Turf3 said basically the same thing while I was typing. Great minds must think alike. :)]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts