Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,011 Posts
I Think he should have stayed with this set up....much better tone than his current stuff ...my ears anyhow

·
Banned
481 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Cool. I'm a great Lovano fan myself.

Houston, you might not have been tuning in when this was going on:

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55642&highlight=lovano
No-- but not shocked by the bashing because what I have learned over the last few weeks is that this is a sax forum and not a just a real jazz forum. There is a wide variety of interest and levels of musical/jazz experience here-- which is great. Joe's playing is on such a high artistic level within the jazz idiom that most really can't appreciate him-- like Trane a few generations ago. That is why despite his incredible success AS A JAZZ ARTIST, Lovano still does not sell as many cds as Kenny G.----ENOUGH SAID--:cool:

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
I don't want to rehash that thread, but: it's true that Lovano and Kenny are in different classes in terms of cd sales, but Lovano sells a lot more cds than most jazz artists, and is also willing to do non-jazz projects from time to time (his Caruso album, for instance). This raises the hackles of some jazz purists. So he gets it from both sides -- partly because he's more successful than most. It goes with the territory -- and this art and in all the others.:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,590 Posts
Lovano's "Sinatra" CD was in my car's player ALL last week.

(This week it is the Turrentine Mosaic set of Blue Note sessions.)

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Lovano is an inspiration as far as I am concerned. He's a man whose love of the saxophone and music (particularly jazz) and people is truly exuded from everything he seems to do.

Though I didn't love the Caruso album, I certainly felt his heart was truly in it.

·
2,228 Posts
I'm hot or cold with Lovano, he is either over the top fantastic, or for me its a thick dead stroll throught the music. I saw him live with his quartet a few years ago and I was really disapointed. He may have had an off night. I do not understand his chosing what I hear is a thick oak tone over flexable phrasing. He really struggles at times. .....and some of my favorite tenor sax music is his. I do think I am probbably missing the point of some of his playing, fair enough. I know I still hear some Coltrane, like Intersteller Space and think garbage, but give him the benifit of the doubt as I'm thinking its part of the process to get out what he needs to.

I'm loving this clip!!!! It is great to hear the phrasing with a full flexable tone. It a great balance he strikes. I hear that and think TENOR MONSTER!!!!! Holy Smokes!!!!!

Thanks for posting it. Another instance of Lovano surprising me again!!!! :D

·
3,331 Posts
Thanks Saxland FANTASTIc video!!
Lovanoe is a mongster on that tenor!
All the best,
Saxobari

1 - 20 of 21 Posts