Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the average cost to re-pad and install new springs in a 1960's Bundy Special?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
It very much depends where you are, you just got a quote valid in Arkansas apparently :) .......this would be completely different in other places of the wold and by another tech...........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
It very much depends where you are, you just got a quote valid in Arkansas apparently :) .......this would be completely different in other places of the wold and by another tech...........
Sure...hence "average." I wouldn't be at all suprised to discover that $600 was the average price for a basic tenor overhaul in the US and Canada?

·
38,887 Posts
In Holland anything between 250 € and 1000€ with an average of 500€

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
What is the average cost to re-pad and install new springs in a 1960's Bundy Special?
Hold it up real close to the computer screen so I can give a better estimate. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Seriously, take the sax to a couple of repair shops in your area to get some estimates of what it needs based on a close up/hands on inspection, and go from there.

We get many calls from customers wanting to know the price of a repad and when they bring it in for an estimate, they only need a few pads or a "play condition". There are so many variables in a repad such as key tightening, body straightening, damaged toneholes, dent work, etc. that there really isn't an average price. Every job done properly is different. Be wary of those repair shops who advertise to do a "repad" at a set price. They often do only a set routine instead of everything the instrument requires to play properly. If it were otherwise they wouldn't make any money on the more involved repairs and would go out of business.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a link to a sax I am interested in, Bundy Special. Maybe it would be more beneficial to buy a newer used Keilwerth or maybe a new Tiawanese P. Mauriet, Barone Vintage or the likes.

·
38,887 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next question, how hard is it to repad/change springs? I have a Jupiter ?787 that I could use as a test piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
3,286 Posts
Next question, how hard is it to repad/change springs? I have a Jupiter ?787 that I could use as a test piece.
It is easy for me, but I have the correct tools and I already have done many.
It would be alot harder for you if you don't have the tools and have not done any.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I called a local (and the only) repair shop here in CA Central Valley, about a '67 Conn 16M that leaks at a couple pads - or more (I have a home-make leak light.) They have a base $150 labor charge for tenors. Pads are $3.00 each. A complete pad job - $500.00. I didn't ask about anything else. Since I have no intention of keeping the horn - sell it for small $$ or donate it, I decided that $500 is way more than the horn is worth.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Hmmm. One muses...

"Repad".

To me there is no such thing as just a repad. To just do pad work without attending to the plethora of other issues is like painting over a rusty car, or a house with rotting weather boards. You really just don't do it.

So what are we quoting an "average" for? Presumably getting a sax into top functioning state and as reliable as is possible. And that depends enormously on the state of the instrument rather than the state of the pads - a total unknown so far in this case.

"average". It's pretty meaningless, because it cannot be applied to any specific horn. Just like it is meaningless and silly to apply a race (or sexual preference) stereotype to a particular unknown individual.

Indeed, "average" price to repad (presumably meaning overhaul as described) for a sax in such a bad state that all the springs need replacing, could well be a lot more than $600. Perhaps $900 or 1000?

·
38,887 Posts
well, that is very understandable Gordon and stands to reason.

Nevertheless many shops in my area have a different approach and quote a standard price for a " re-pad" and they include as much work in it as to get the saxophone playing knowing that in some cases they will get an easier job than others but they still quote a price on their sites or on the phone.

There are , indeed , some shops who make no such claims and say that each and every job has to be judged on its merits and won't quote a price , they tend to be the more expensive shops and one can easily end up spending between a minimum of 500€ to 1000€ or more.

But in all honesty these are also the shops who discourage people with cheaper horns to " re-pad " them so, if you have a Bundy worth in top form 750€ , One is not going to spend that kind of money unless it is the precious heirloom that reminds one of his late father or grandfather playing the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
How hard is it to repad a sax, I agree with paul, its very simple, doesnt take long, pretty much every instrument is a bout the same plus or minus an hour or two.. however I have the tools to do it, also having done one or two :bluewink:, I have the process down pat, it may take you a little longer

Be wary of those repair shops who advertise to do a "repad" at a set price. They often do only a set routine instead of everything the instrument requires to play properly. If it were otherwise they wouldn't make any money on the more involved repairs and would go out of business.
John that is a very broad generalisation, I persoanlly do fixed repad prices, and my business is flourishing, I took on an employe "apprentice" a while ago and am looking to employ another as we talk due to the workload.. Pricing: - I returned two alto repads today, they cost the customers $295 each, all mechanical work required to ensure they stayed in regulation was also carried out. I have music shops quote the same price to the customers prior to me ever looking at the instrument, and I honour that price, Im returning a Repadded Martin Indianna tenor tommorrow the cost was the standard tenor repad price $345

The customers directions where no more than please repad my sax, I understand without further direction what that terminology "repad" entails for me, and this Im guessing applies to those stores near you milandro

My average repad price is a simple mathematics calculation, for a tenor it is $345, this is worked out by the volume of tenor repads I have carried out divided by the total income I have recieved for them. Very rare does it go over this unless it has missing parts. If I was to include the replacement of all springs irrespective of condition then you can add $60 to the price

As far as pricing you also have to consider the repairers overheads. location, there skill level etc, being cheap or expensive does not reflect on the job itself, go by a repairers reputation in the local music circuit, not via an internet personality

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is easy for me, but I have the correct tools and I already have done many.
It would be alot harder for you if you don't have the tools and have not done any.
There is a limit to what I will pay to have some thing done. Case in point, I wanted a new 200 amp metered service panel installled on a pole. The electrician quoted me $3,500. So, I opted to buy the materials (wire, metered load center, conduit, breakers etc) and did the job myself for $500. My point is, I guess I wouldn't pay $800 to have a sax repaded, springs installed if parts only cost $100.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts