Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was seeing a little more latency than I wanted in Audacity running under Ubuntu 12.04 Linux on my HP2140 when I had a lot of tracks playing, so I installed AV Linux instead. Haven't had a chance to see if it solved the latency problem (although I wouldn't be surprised, as it claims to be optimized for low-latency audio production). But I was pleasantly surprised by the number of audio applications on board:

several digital audio workstation programs
several editors
half a dozen sequencers and synths
the Hydrogen drum machine
a tuner
MIDI instrument and music editors
notation and transcription programs, and a chord analyzer which is pretty nifty
a virtual MIDI keyboard
samplers
and Jack to hook 'em all together

I've just begin messing around with all this, reading the manuals to understand the different packages, playing with Jack to connect them to the system audio, etc.

Is anyone else using AV Linux? If so, do you have particular favorite programs you'd recommend?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'm using a (pretty heavily modded) Ubuntu 12.04 installation on my main laptop, but AV Linux definitely looks like something to check out (Debian + LXDE + software package: really nice). I wasn't even aware of that distro. I'll give it a shot pretty soon.

As for audio production, I still think Audacity is one of the best offerings out there for my purposes, but my knowledge is really limited since I hardly ever do post-production or mixing, though I'd like to (play a quartet all by myself would be interesting). And I mostly use my Zoom H4 for audio recording - that's more than good enough for me.

M.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like Audacity very much. Simple to use. A lot of useful features, like noise cancellation, and various plug-ins. It's been my go-to editing and mix-down program. (The work-in-progress piece in my signature link was assembled, edited, and mixed-down in Audacity.)

But give me an OS full of new toys, like drum machines, MIDI keyboards, editors, chord analyzers, and DAWs, and I'm'a start playing with 'em. Just can't help myself.

Here's the link, if anyone else is interested in AV Linux:

http://www.bandshed.net/DownloadInstall.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts