Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I use it. Prevents you from sealing your embouchure, meaning air is leaking all over the place. Hence, to produce a tone, and especially to sustain it for for the prescribed 6-10 seconds (you use a metronome and tuner when playing the exercises) on each long note, you always have to make sure you fill your entire lung capacity before blowing and you are forced to blow air from the diaphragm area (if you blow from the throat or the mouth or your air stream is weak, you will not produce any tone or will squeak). You are also forced to control your exhalation, else you won';t be able to sustain he note.

After removing it, you will find that you are blowing more effortlessly and with fuller support, and your embouchure is also more relaxed.

Not sure if it';s worth the price tag, but I';ve found it very helpful. When I first started using it, I could not sustain notes for more than 1-2 seconds. Now I can do it for 6-7.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use it. Prevents you from dealing your embouchure, meaning air is leaking all over the place. Hence, to produce a tone, and especially to sustain it for for the prescribed 6-10 seconds (you use a metronome and tuner when playing the exercises) on each long note, you always have to make sure you fill your entire lung capacity before blowing and you are forced to blow air from the diaphragm area (if you blow from the throat or the mouth or your air stream is weak, you will not produce any tone or will squeak). You are also forced to control your exhalation, else you won';t be able to sustain he note.

After removing it, you will find that you are blowing more effortlessly and with fuller support, and your embouchure is also more relaxed.

Not sure if it';s worth the price tag, but I';ve found it very helpful. When I first started using it, I could not sustain notes for more than 1-2 seconds. Now I can do it for 6-7.
So this could help get a fuller sound on a softer reed, or help with biting by developing better air support?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I use it. Prevents you from dealing your embouchure, meaning air is leaking all over the place. Hence, to produce a tone, and especially to sustain it for for the prescribed 6-10 seconds (you use a metronome and tuner when playing the exercises) on each long note, you always have to make sure you fill your entire lung capacity before blowing and you are forced to blow air from the diaphragm area (if you blow from the throat or the mouth or your air stream is weak, you will not produce any tone or will squeak). You are also forced to control your exhalation, else you won';t be able to sustain he note.

So this could help get a fuller sound on a softer reed, or help with biting by developing better air support?
I don't know about getting a fuller sound on a softer reed, but it will definitely help develop a fuller sound per se and help with biting as you are trained to produce sound through strong and constant air support (there is no way to produce and sustain sound otherwise with the device in place) rather than relying primarily on your lips. It's essentially a breathing and air support training device.

Just a heads up, the first several times you use it, assuming you were using improper breath support techniques before, you will get very tired after doing the exercises and it will affect the rest of your practice session. It will really hit your muscles supporting the diaphragm pretty hard. Also, at the beginning you will run out of air very quickly (again, your embouchure is prevented from sealing), until you learn to 1) fill your lungs to capacity (you have to fill your ribcage and your lower back expanding) and 2) control the outflow of air. In my case, putting my tongue back and up also helps control the outflow of air and helps me sustain the notes longer.

Again, it's probably overpriced, but if you have the money to spend, it is helpful in my experience.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and ordered. I figure if it really does help it's probably not a bad idea to check it out, especially as breath support/biting is one of my problem areas.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I went ahead and ordered. I figure if it really does help it's probably not a bad idea to check it out, especially as breath support/biting is one of my problem areas.
Those were my problems as well and the Aura certainly helped address those problems. Just be sure you stick to it -- it can get very frustrating at the start (you can't produce a sound, you can't sustain a sound, you can't play in tune, you squeak, you tire out fairly quickly) that you will be very tempted to just chuck it (I actually did for awhile before I decided to give it another try and stick with it long enough).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just more expensive version of Joe Allards Bunny embouchure exercise? Bunny embouchure is when you play with your upper lip lifted so your front teeth can be seen. I love this exercise and I think it's even more effective when you lift your lip on your own as the opposite muscles are in action (opposite to those which you use when you press your lip hard - which we don't want). Anybody thought of that like me?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just more expensive version of Joe Allards Bunny embouchure exercise? Bunny embouchure is when you play with your upper lip lifted so your front teeth can be seen. I love this exercise and I think it's even more effective when you lift your lip on your own as the opposite muscles are in action (opposite to those which you use when you press your lip hard - which we don't want). Anybody thought of that like me?
Not familiar with the bunny embouchure exercise, but based on your description it looks like it's similar but not quite the same. When you use the Aura, there's an actual gap created between your upper lip and upper teeth and the mouthpiece through which air leaks out. Thus, the primary workout you're getting is on the muscles that support the diaphragm since the only way you can produce and sustain tones is by generating and maintaining a steady and strong air stream. A secondary effect of the exercise is you necessarily learn to play with a relaxed embouchure because even when the device is no longer in place, you've already learned (over time) to rely on your air stream rather than your lips for tone production/sustenance. You can only imagine how much easier it is to sustain a strong air stream when the embouchure is properly sealed after you've learned how to produce and sustain tones when a nontrivial amount of air is leaking.

From your description, it looks like the bunny exercise is geared towards the embouchure itself (i.e., keeping it relaxed). Not sure if there is as much air leakage that will occur when you life your upper lift in the manner you described. If so, then it is identical to the effects of using the Aura. Otherwise, it's not quite the same. Another difference is that in the exercise you described you have the option of lowering your lip while with the device the position with the gap is maintained the whole time (you cannot make it go away).

I agree that there are probably other similar, less expensive exercises that can accomplish the same thing, but this is just another training device that I've found helpful. Running with ankle weights/swimming with training paddles are analogies that come to mind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A secondary effect of the exercise is you necessarily learn to play with a relaxed embouchure because even when the device is no longer in place, you've already learned (over time) to rely on your air stream rather than your lips for tone production/sustenance.
This is probably gained better with the aurus. Although with bunny embouchure there's still gap large enough to leak a great portion of air but as you said, you're relied only to yourself and thus you might subconsciously want to lower your lip.
From your description, it looks like the bunny exercise is geared towards the embouchure itself.
Probably. Thanks for explanation.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my Aurus came in the mail today. I was surprised, because it wasn't scheduled for delivery until Tuesday, but hey! Get to start with it early! Yay.

Trickiest part of assembling the thing is getting it into the right spot. and keeping it there (even screwed down all the way it liked to slide a bit if I wasn't careful). Spent five minutes doing long tones, and you're right, I couldn't sustain long at all. Maybe about 1-2 seconds.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
So my Aurus came in the mail today. I was surprised, because it wasn't scheduled for delivery until Tuesday, but hey! Get to start with it early! Yay.

Trickiest part of assembling the thing is getting it into the right spot. and keeping it there (even screwed down all the way it liked to slide a bit if I wasn't careful). Spent five minutes doing long tones, and you're right, I couldn't sustain long at all. Maybe about 1-2 seconds.
That';s great! Just keep at it (5-10 mins each day). Took me several weeks before I got to the point where I could sustain long notes for at least 5 seconds (including the time I initially just gave up in frustration).

You will learn that you have to adjust the way you breathe in so you fill your lungs to capacity and the way you release the air so it';s more controlled and you don';t run out of air too fast. You';ll also train yourself to develop and sustain a fast and steady air stream from all the way down, all while maintaining control.

When you do all that and play normally without the aureus, you';ll see how much easier it is to sustain a strong/fast air stream while keeping your embouchure relaxed. This is particularly true once you';ve mastered how to play in the higher registers with the aurus on the mouthpiece (the lowest register is tricky too since you run out of air faster there).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
One more thing, just make sure when you continue your practice session after you';ve removed the device you remember what it was like to generate and sustain the air stream while the device was on and do your best to replicate it even when the device is already off. Eventually it will all just become automatic.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two days on, I think I'm already noticing a difference. Not quite consistently yet, but there's definitely times I'm getting a bigger sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts