Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Littlewailer has kindly passed down the TOTM torch to me! This month I picked a tune that probably isn't as well known as Stella, but is a great tune nonetheless, You Say You Care.

Here's Coltrane's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxLbq7wkKWI

I like this tune, it's has a nice up-tempo swing feel, and the form isn't too hard to keep up with :).

A mediocre backing track can be found here: http://www.ralphpatt.com/Backing.html#Y (Hopefully you guys can find or make better ones)

I don't know if you guys have lead sheets already, or in your real books, there might be some on the internet. If not, just send me a PM with your email, and I'll scan my arrangement and send it to you.

Here's me playing it with my jazz combo at a local workshop. Most of these guys are quite older and more experienced than me, some of them going into university already. Just going into high school, It was a great experience for me to be challenged. I take the 3rd solo at 2:25. http://soundcloud.com/brandon-tse/you-say-you-care-totm-live (sorry for the bad quality and other noise, it was recorded with a video camera).

I'll record one myself when i get my recording stuff fixed...

Hope you guys enjoy this month's tune,

Brandon

·
Registered
536 Posts
Brandon, nice call on the tune, must admit I'm not familiar with this, though it reminds me of parts of a couple of other tunes. I enjoyed your combo version, solo sounded fine. This is on Aebersold Vol 23 btw

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, rolltrane, hopefully you can get a take up here sometime, I'm excited to here some other versions :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
This is one I'm gonna have to step back for a while and listen to quite a bit before I even consider trying to do a take. I've got the Soultrane album and always really liked the tune but it wasn't one I had considered for myself to play. Not because it's super difficult but because I think it is a cool tune that deserves to be done well. I liked your combo version Brandon. Very Nice.

I'm going to let y'all run with this one until I get some serious time to go over the chart.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
well, I read through this a few times this morning and tried a run at it early this afternoon. Ouch! After the dodgy part in the middle it does get better towards the end... at least I have a baseline take to improve upon!

You Care, You Say?

Tried something new with the recording - captured the video with my new laptop webcam, but did a hi-fi recording of the audio with my usual recording setup. Now all my mistakes are clearer...btw, that's the vol 23 backing slowed down about 7%... notice how much the tempo picks up as things go along. Saxscape and a fading Rigotti Gold...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I read through this a few times this morning and tried a run at it early this afternoon. Ouch! After the dodgy part in the middle it does get better towards the end... at least I have a baseline take to improve upon!

You Care, You Say?

Tried something new with the recording - captured the video with my new laptop webcam, but did a hi-fi recording of the audio with my usual recording setup. Now all my mistakes are clearer...btw, that's the vol 23 backing slowed down about 7%... notice how much the tempo picks up as things go along. Saxscape and a fading Rigotti Gold...
Nice take! I liked the sound, nice ideas on the improv. I did find that you seemed to trip over yourself a bit on the faster lines, causing it to go a bit out of time. But you're right, it did get better towards the end. Sorry I can't offer much constructive criticism, I'm not experienced enough...

Brandon

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Appreciate the constructive feedback...going at it like that really illustrates my shortcomings as a player at this point (especially not getting a lot of time on the horn the last several weeks...) The more uptempo bebop stuff just not my comfort zone lately...

·
7,356 Posts
Shawn - I'll echo Brandon's Comments in saying that the tone and drive is there but the fast swing temp leads to wanting those fingers to move faster. I Tried this one yesterday at 210 tempo and My fingers couldn't get out of the non sensical 8th note lines that kinda sound ok. When you came towards the end of the improve you were starting your phrases in places other than just the one and finding a nice rhythm in spots. I'm hearing a little bit of Trane for sure.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Sean asked about a backing track, so I've linked in the thread for anyone else who might need one. This is the standard track (I slowed down a bit for my first go...)

You Say You Care backing track

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, thanks! Its much better than the one I linked ;). Do you know how many choruses there are in the track? I'll probably do a take when I get back home from vacation late this week.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think it's 10 choruses including the head and out-chorus... a few more than I needed..

·
7,356 Posts
Thanks Shawn,

I too think I'm going to slow this one down. I find when I use audacity to do that that there gets to be a slightly odd quality to the sound. Maybe only if you stretch it too far.

Anyways, Thanks. I'm listening to the Trane Version right now and going over the chart. Somehow I think it's going to sound like me when I go through this one though :)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I too think I'm going to slow this one down...Somehow I think it's going to sound like me when I go through this one though :)
That was my problem - still sounded like me. :bluewink: I should have spent more time working through this one slower to really hear and get a better grasp of the harmonies...I did improve towards the end, but too out of control or "wreckless" overall...

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Back from travelling and found some time on a rainy Sunday afternoon to record two takes of our TOTM (new song for me).

First take is with a medium tempo backing created by my SOTW friend Oilywrag (http://www.cksounds.co.uk/). It's on my main mouthpiece, a Florida no USA 10* and a Plasticover 2 reed (getting thin).

- 'You Say You Care' - medium (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11810689

The second take is with the cheesy fast (210) Ralph Patt backing and a Florida no USA 9 mouthpiece with a fresh La Voz medium reed.

- 'You Say You Care' - fast (Florida no USA 9 - La Voz medium): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11810907

Might try another version later this month with the backing posted by Shawn.

·
7,356 Posts
PeeBee - I liked the second clip more than the No USA 10* clip. The faster tempo worked great and I really liked the altissimo and more fluid 8th note lines.

I laughed at 2:27 in the second clip. Were you doing a low Bb altssimo Bb and missed it? Very funny.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,012 Posts
beautiful choice! I was just getting interested in this tune when I came back to SOTW and saw this - perfect! I haven't contributed here before, but I think I might this time.

Nancy King does this song well. Worth a listen for the phrasing, and her scat is great too. you get the head and part of her solo here

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
PeeBee - I liked the second clip more than the No USA 10* clip. The faster tempo worked great and I really liked the altissimo and more fluid 8th note lines.

I laughed at 2:27 in the second clip. Were you doing a low Bb altssimo Bb and missed it? Very funny.
Thanks for listening and commenting Sean :).

I think I tried to play a subtone low C after the honking low B at 2:27, but it didn't come out well :mrgreen:! Didn't play much (about 2 hours) the last 4 weeks due to all the travelling (6 countries in 4 weeks) and this new La Voz medium reed is still a bit stuffy. Hope to get it right before Thursday, because my friend and pro player >Rinus Groeneveld< asked me to to play a set with him at a small cafe gig he has close to my house. Rinus has one of the biggest tenor sounds available in the World today, so I need my sound :|. The FL 10* will be fine for that with a good reed, it sounds much bigger than the FL 9 (the poor quality mp3 home recording internet soundclips don't give a good impression on that).

1 - 20 of 81 Posts