Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have used both of these mics (for tenor) , which do you prefer and why , and also , which do you feel works and sounds better on a less desireable PA system. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surely someone out there has used both of these and may have a preference, would appreciate some feedback Thanks

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've had an i5 & I didn't like it for sax. It's probably ok for mic'ing a guitar amp or snare drum. I've not owned a sm58 but played through them, & I thought they were ok. I think the midrange forward design of them make it work for sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
I have used the Audix OM-5, SM-58 and Beta 58 for vocals and sax both. I like the OM-5 a lot better than the SM-58. Beta is probably comparable to the OM5. Sorry, haven't tried an i5. I suspect they are probably more comparable to an SM57.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have an OM2 that is better than the i5. The proximity effect of the i5 doesn't work for me. If you clipped to your horn it might be ok, but if you move the littlest bit from the mic you change the pickup too much.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an OM2 that is better than the i5. The proximity effect of the i5 doesn't work for me. If you clipped to your horn it might be ok, but if you move the littlest bit from the mic you change the pickup too much.
Thanks for your input. This is reinforcing what I have been experiencing. I have both the i5 and 58 and noticed (especially when I hear videos back) that the 58 just sounds better than the i5. The i5 can cut through the mix but that is all, the 58 sounds fatter. Thanks again for replying

·
Registered
166 Posts
I played both both of them for.
A few years I played SM58 alto, using it simultanously for vocal, then I changed for tenor mainly, and one time I've seen some positive opinions about using Audix i5 for sax (reference was made to the characteristics and housing of the microphone). I've got the oportunity to buy well priced i5, so I did, and I was glad with the mic. I had the impression that it does not arise so easily in difficult acoustic conditions, I felt SM58 was maybe little more sensitive to feedback. SM 58 was ... hmm ... wider, maybe deeper - better for vocals in my opinion - but I liked tenor with i5, core and warm band in my opinion, and I used it and have till now as backup for dedicated sax mic I use last five years.
Both work well with tenor I think that you can be happy with both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,073 Posts
On a less-than-desirable system, or on any system with a less-than-desirable engineer, I'm gonna be sad, no matter the mic. :)

But in general I'll take a 58 over any Audix that I've tried. I also tend to slightly the prefer the 58 to the 57, and it may well just be the placebo effect since I like the look of the 58 more, but I'm honestly fine with either. For live sound, I think you could use nothing but 57s and 58s and have things sound solid if the engineer knows what he or she is doing.

As a nice alternative to Shure, the Sennheiser e604 (normally a rack tom mic) sounds great with saxophone. I got one after hearing Chris Cheek use one with his pedal rig in Rudder, he sounded fantastic with it so I gave it a shot and it works well.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a less-than-desirable system, or on any system with a less-than-desirable engineer, I'm gonna be sad, no matter the mic. :)

But in general I'll take a 58 over any Audix that I've tried. I also tend to slightly the prefer the 58 to the 57, and it may well just be the placebo effect since I like the look of the 58 more, but I'm honestly fine with either. For live sound, I think you could use nothing but 57s and 58s and have things sound solid if the engineer knows what he or she is doing.

As a nice alternative to Shure, the Sennheiser e604 (normally a rack tom mic) sounds great with saxophone. I got one after hearing Chris Cheek use one with his pedal rig in Rudder, he sounded fantastic with it so I gave it a shot and it works well.
Thanks for your reply. I feel pretty much the same as to everything you said. Only Sennheiser I ever tried was an e-835, did not like that one for sax at all . Unfortunately, I have to deal with some less than desireable PA's (and sound guys) so I am usually not happy either

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I like the i5 better than both the SM57 or SM58. It’s no secret that I’m not of fan of the 57 and 58 and would rather use almost anything (except the AKGC1000: which is the worst sound mic ever built) for a source that I cared about.

That being said, the Heil PR22 and PR30 sound way better than the Audix i5 also.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the i5 better than both the SM57 or SM58. It’s no secret that I’m not of fan of the 57 and 58 and would rather use almost anything (except the AKGC1000: which is the worst sound mic ever built) for a source that I cared about.

That being said, the Heil PR22 and PR30 sound way better than the Audix i5 also.
Thanks for your reply. The i5 is a very good mic and I have used it live many times. With that being said, I unfortunately have to deal with many less desirable PA's (as stated in my original post) and with these PA's , the 58 just seems to sound better. I have played in some outdoor festivals and they always had 58's and they sounded good as long as the sound man knew how to mix it. Only played through a 57 once at an outdoor festival and the sound man didn't e q it too well and it sounded like a kazoo. Just from my own experiences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts