Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,444 Posts
Plenty of time to to prepare. I'm not sure what to advise. There is enough time to be more than comfortable playing the notes. Be confident. Practice. Know the material so well you could play it upside down. Confidence that I will not screw up reduces my stress levels tremendously. I you're still freaked even knowing the material - it might just be you need more time performing before you find your comfort level. It's a bit like skydiving - the first time you are scared sihtless - by your 1000th jump, it's become a chance to enjoy the serenity that comes with floating free through the sky.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,444 Posts
Very simple advice given to me by my old clarinet teacher.
Practice til you can play it in your sleep. When the time comes the notes will all be there, then all you'll have to do is remember to breath.
My reply, That's what YOU think!

Sometimes it works...
Yeah. Some days are better than others. We (my corp group) opens this summers show with the intro to a TOP song. I play the intro on tenor because the next tune is a tenor song for me. We end the show with the same tune but I play Bari. Sat pm, I strode boldly on stage and belted out the Bari part - on my tenor :(. I've been playing this stupid set for weeks! I was thrown off my game for half the set. It rattled me hard for some reason. Your advice is great though - the caveat is that whatever can go wrong - will. You better practice until you can play it in your sleep with a split reed and a pad missing ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts