Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the free version of audacity do everything. I'm having a hard time doing a lot of the functions on mine I don't know if I'm not enabling something or what. I want to take a long mp3 and track mark it so I can have some smaller snippets instead of an hour and a half song. Thanks

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Personally, I don't think Audacity is that great--or, well, it's priced right:)

Reaper is well worth the $60 bucks and it will do anything you want to. Try it out for free.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hak I will try it out. I have a bunch of files I want to sort through. There are some good examples of my Barone's sound quality in the files. I don't want to make people sort through an hour of an mp3 to hear them though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
To answer your question - Yes. Audacity will do just what you want to do and easily. The other software mentioned is ok too. None of the free stuff is great but it's surprisingly good for the price ;).

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer your question - Yes. Audacity will do just what you want to do and easily. The other software mentioned is ok too. None of the free stuff is great but it's surprisingly good for the price ;).
Well I just can't seem to get audacity do anything but play mp3s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Open up Audacity, import the MP3 so you are looking at the waveform. Click on the spot where you want to split the track, then right-click and choose "split track". You can do this multiple times, then move around the snips, delete them, mix them, put them into new tracks, etc.

Pete

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Open up Audacity, import the MP3 so you are looking at the waveform. Click on the spot where you want to split the track, then right-click and choose "split track". You can do this multiple times, then move around the snips, delete them, mix them, put them into new tracks, etc.

Pete
Thanks Pete I will give it a shot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
One of the things I like about Audacity is the almost infinite zoom in feature. If I want to snip out the count-off to a song, it's really easy to zoom in far enough to clip the word "four" without taking any music with it. The fade in and fade out works very nicely too.

I suppose a lot of other packages have features like that, but as was noted - the price is right.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Audacity will definitely read your mp3s and do the editing, cutting and pasting that you want to do. In fact these are the only functions that I currently use it for. You can also adjust the volume up and down of the track if required, and I am sure there are quite a few more functions that I'm not familiar with. For a free program, it's pretty straight forward so no complaints on it.

·
6,086 Posts
There are also 100's of free plug-ins for audacity that are fairly easy to download and install. Some of them are really good. I think it's a good program. It's just a bit slow compared to the $$$ software.

·
Registered
594 Posts
As a free editor, it's fine.

I will often fire up Audacity to quickly simple-edit a file rather than wait to load SoundForge.

But for anything more (especially multi-tracking), get Reaper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
To export mp3s you'l need the lame dll. I assume you know this and have done it but, just in case you haven't, make sure you have.

·
6,086 Posts
To export mp3s you'l need the lame dll. I assume you know this and have done it but, just in case you haven't, make sure you have.
Good point and possibly the OP's problem. Once you have lame dll though, you can download all the other goodies too. I only use audacity for quick field recorder to MP3 conversions but even then, the compressors, eq options, and leveling tools come in handy.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
You have to have the lame encoder for Reaper, too. It's a licensing issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts