Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

We are pleased to announce we are implementing a new method in which we send out site newsletters. The new newsletter will have a cleaner template and sent out to participating forum members once a week. We have added an example below of how it will look. This change will not have any negative impact on members receiving newsletter and will not impact the site with any downtime.

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

Thank you,

Community Support

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,307 Posts
I've been wondering what happened to my Gallbladder newsletter.

·
Administrator
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's something we're doing now. I don't know if there was one previously. Let us know what you think when we roll it out.

Lee

·
Registered
tenor most of the time, occasionally alto, and rarely clarinet and flute. Soprano stays rested
216 Posts
So do I enroll into this or everyone gets it by default?

·
Administrator
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone will get it at the start by default. You can "Unsubscribe" from it at any time.

Niall

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Everyone will get it at the start by default. You can "Unsubscribe" from it at any time.

Niall
Why not doing it the other way around?

This is the typical marketing way of thinking that annoys people a lot (getting email you didn't ask for). IMO that's normal practice for commercial stuff, but not for a forum.

·
Administrator
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it will likely boil down to what is easier for everyone. I think it's generally easier for members to click on an "Unsubscribe" button than to explain the steps that it takes to subscribe. It's also meant to be a way to reach those members who don't come around as often to try to get them to come back to re-visit the site more often. I hope that helps to clarify. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Erik

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,026 Posts
I think it will likely boil down to what is easier for everyone. I think it's generally easier for members to click on an "Unsubscribe" button than to explain the steps that it takes to subscribe. It's also meant to be a way to reach those members who don't come around as often to try to get them to come back to re-visit the site more often. I hope that helps to clarify. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Erik
Good answer! Obviously there is been a lot of thought put into this new project. I find it interesting this will be weekly. It's a lot of work to keep a newsletter going especially the editorial. Many become very dry in content due to the lack of new information. I'm sure the creative department has reviewed a nice blend of vintage and modern content as well.

I'm appointing myself as representative for all members in asking this next question. Do we get a refund for a free subscription we didn't know we were supposed to get. And is this newsletter being distributed by third-party company? Who is responsible for our email addresses and personal information?

Cheers to you success,
PS?

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
I think it will likely boil down to what is easier for everyone. I think it's generally easier for members to click on an "Unsubscribe" button than to explain the steps that it takes to subscribe.
Spam.

I was under the impression many country's anti spam laws require opt in, not opt out.

I wondered how long it would be before this happened.

It's bad enough getting all the pop up ads now without getting unsolicited "newsletters"

Come back Harri!

·
Administrator
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good answer! Obviously there is been a lot of thought put into this new project. I find it interesting this will be weekly. It's a lot of work to keep a newsletter going especially the editorial. Many become very dry in content due to the lack of new information. I'm sure the creative department has reviewed a nice blend of vintage and modern content as well.

I'm appointing myself as representative for all members in asking this next question. Do we get a refund for a free subscription we didn't know we were supposed to get. And is this newsletter being distributed by third-party company? Who is responsible for our email addresses and personal information?

Cheers to you success,
PS?
You would only get a refund if the Subscription was processed thorugh Paypal.
This newsletter is being distributed by Threadloom which is a third party company we partnered up with.
Whatever email address and personal information you put on in the forum is the users choice, but keeping it safe from hackers is our responsiblity.

Ed

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Spam.

I was under the impression many country's anti spam laws require opt in, not opt out.
That can vary; the EU has a massive new regulation (the GDPR) going into effect next month that addresses this point, among others. In the United States, opt-out is generally the standard. Moreover, in the U.S., email from an entity which with the recipient already has a relationship may not be considered "spam" at all -- in the sense of unsolicited commercial messaging -- if the email primarily includes information about the existing relationship (which can be a membership) rather than promoting a commercial product or service.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
That can vary; the EU has a massive new regulation (the GDPR) going into effect next month that addresses this point, among others. In the United States, opt-out is generally the standard. Moreover, in the U.S.....
This is not a US forum though. It is based in Canada with international membership.

The whole thing about it being "easier for members" to unsubscribe is something I doubt. It's about marketing which is why the spam laws have changed and are continuing to change, people don't see opting out as convenient when they'd prefer not to get unsolicited mail in the first place.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
This newsletter is being distributed by Threadloom which is a third party company we partnered up with.

Ed
Please confirm that you will not be giving our email addresses or other confidential information to this third party company

All personal information collected by SAXONTHEWEB.NET is retained by VerticalScope Inc. and/or SAXONTHEWEB.NET, and not sold or otherwise provided to third parties,

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
This is not a US forum though. It is based in Canada with international membership.
Are you arguing with me about what I posted, or are you arguing with me about which law you think should apply to the operations of SOTW? I merely answered your question; I did not express an opinion on the latter issue (and am not going to).

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
Are you arguing with me about what I posted, or are you arguing with me about which law you think should apply to the operations of SOTW? I merely answered your question; I did not express an opinion on the latter issue (and am not going to).
I'm not really arguing with you at all, although I might argue that I didn't realise you were answering my question, mainly because I didn't ask a question.

I think we are both just giving out information or opinions as we see it.

I don't actually know whether a site has to follow the laws of the jurisdiction of its place of business or those of the end user (which if it is the case may not be easy to enforce)

The main thing that concerns me is that we are treated with respect

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
It's a lot of work to keep a newsletter going especially the editorial. Many become very dry in content due to the lack of new information. I'm sure the creative department has reviewed a nice blend of vintage and modern content as well.
PS, I'm almost sure that the biggest part of this 'newsletter' will be generated fully automatically from our forum content (look at the examples given in the first post). These SPAM types of newsletters are always meant to generate money or extra hits, not to cost money (e.g. paying an editor).

Whatever email address and personal information you put on in the forum is the users choice, but keeping it safe from hackers is our responsiblity.

Ed

Please confirm that you will not be giving our email addresses or other confidential information to this third party company

All personal information collected by SAXONTHEWEB.NET is retained by VerticalScope Inc. and/or SAXONTHEWEB.NET, and not sold or otherwise provided to third parties,
Ed, how would Threadloom be able to distribute this newsletter to us if they don't get our email addresses (them reading the SOTW user profiles through a program is also providing data to third parties)?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,026 Posts
You would only get a refund if the Subscription was processed thorugh Paypal.

Ed
You do realize you just announced releasing 55,783 members email contact to a unauthorized third party and VS is responsible when it All goes wrong. Have you viewed any news this week??
I hope IT has also prepared for at least 50% of a one time response within the first week. The current active 3500 or so members would most likely disappear never to return if the site locks up or becomes any slower. Could this site handle a additional 3500 or 100% increase in one week? SOTW has a great wealth of information. That information has been generously given by the members for free. Members who should not be compromised due to the lack of someone's foresight.

·
Administrator
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The third party in this case is tantamount to a plugin, because that's what it is. Threadloom provides us with a dashboard interface and a programatic search system that pulls the most active topics for a given week and sends it out in a digest that we control. It does not give data to threadloom as an entity. We control your data, we control the thread data, and we control the output. This is being accounted for in regards to privacy laws, including CASL and when necessary GDPR. The unsubscribe control is likewise run on a provided dashboard there by preventing the crash concern that you are referring to.

Kyle

1 - 20 of 45 Posts