Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally play acoustic in a big band or sometimes a shared stand mic on solos. I need to get a mic for my alto for a small combo gig in September. I read some postings, did some research and decided that for me, a wired clip on condenser mic is the answer and ruled out wireless or mics on stand. Last night I ordered a Shure Beta 98H/C on wwbw along with several other items. The confirmation showed backorder, so I called today and they were unable to give an expected date. I am worried about not getting the mic in time if I wait until September to do something else. WWBW suggested the ATM-350 (it was my second choice) but it has mini xlr and will need a converter to full size xlr for mic cables and input. The ATM-350 costs $40 more than the Shure, the performance specs look very similar and the converter they suggest is another $70. The good news is the converter is capable of providing phantom power if I ever need to use it into a system that cannot provide it. Is the ATM-350 worth the difference in cost? Is the Shure just as good or maybe even better? I also play tenor and curved soprano sometimes, but lately mostly alto. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. The Pro 35 looks a lot like the ATM-350 but half the cost. Then the power module takes the mini plug in and has the full size xlr on the output side? And it can provide the phantom power too. Hard to figure out from reading the ads. The biggest difference I can see is the 15k HZ versus 20 kHZ frequency response, would that be noticeable in soft ballad jazz type setting? At my level, probably does not matter at all. Maybe I should go that route instead.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
davemurphy said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The Pro 35 looks a lot like the ATM-350 but half the cost. Then the power module takes the mini plug in and has the full size xlr on the output side? And it can provide the phantom power too. Hard to figure out from reading the ads. The biggest difference I can see is the 15k HZ versus 20 kHZ frequency response, would that be noticeable in soft ballad jazz type setting? At my level, probably does not matter at all. Maybe I should go that route instead.
Not much in a sax sound (I would say nothing, but I've never measured it) above 15k. Yes, the power module is a beltpack that has a place for a battery, a low frequency rolloff, and on/off switch. The only downside of the on/off switch is that it will cause a thump through the system if you use it while the channel is on. And the output of the beltpack is XLR.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I own an ATM35 and a Shure SM98 which are both clip ons. They are both older versions of the ones you're asking about. Both have a transformer that plugs into an XLR mike cable and each has a low roll off switch that can cut feedback or rumble. The ATM35 can also take a battery if phantom power is not available. The wire on the ATM35 is stronger and doesn't kink up like the one provided with the SM98. They both sound very similar but I prefer the sound of the ATM35 by a slight margin and I also like the thicker wire.

As far as comparing the ATM35 (which is very similar to the ATM350) to the Pro35, my experience is the ATM35 has a noticably better sound. They are two entirely different mics so get the better one if you can afford it. The ATM350 comes with a transformer and the PRO35 does not.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Pro-35 has a peak in the response - can make the sax just a tad edgy but not nearly as much as a vocal mic (like a Shure SM58 or 57 does). You may like it. I use the Pro-35 and it works great!

You won't be missing anything by the 15K response on the 35, However I have been interested in the 350 though to see if the flatter response (doesn't have the peak in the 2-3K range) would sound better to me.

Has anyone compared the Pro-35 to the 350?

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
hakukani said:
Not much in a sax sound (I would say nothing, but I've never measured it) above 15k. Yes, the power module is a beltpack that has a place for a battery, a low frequency rolloff, and on/off switch. The only downside of the on/off switch is that it will cause a thump through the system if you use it while the channel is on. And the output of the beltpack is XLR.
One nice thing about the ATM: no beltpack. I like that about it. Its on/off switch also causes a thump (is this universal?) but it has a mute switch, and if you want to turn it off you can mute first. It's a great wireless -- best I've ever used. Downside: price. (Got mine on eBay, used.)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Dood,

Get an AKG C419. Its under $200 (canadian) and is smoking. And it sounds great very close inside the lip of the bell too! Especially for Alto and Tenor. This is very good for helping with feedback, and especially since some guys live love to have these tiny little condensors way away from the horn, causing all kinds of grief. Get it in good and close, and this mic sounds good doing it too!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sax Microphones

For years, i have used 2 SM98 mics plugged into 2 Electrovoice wireless units (i play tenor & alto simultaneously). Going from Shure to EV required custom cables, since EV uses a 4-prong plug & Shure uses a 3-prong plug (or vice versa...can't remember...my unit is down in L.A., where the gig is). I can switch on/off or mute without any click in the P.A., which is really useful if you forget what key you are in.
Does anybody have any leads regarding mic clips? I got these little alligator clips to the bell with a little gooseneck and a plastic C holder, but it is not stable. You get halfway thru a solo and the mic falls off the holder. There is a really nice spider shaped holder with 4 clips and a mic holder above the bell, but they won't sell it unless you buy the $480 mic with it.
You really do want the mic up out away from the bell. Otherwise, your low Bb is 3 times as loud as the other notes.
[email protected]
www.craigbuhler.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts