Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Started 2 years ago, 54, because; first I was at a really great jazz concert but knew I didn't really know enough about what I was listening to. Second was looking for something to do that didn't require staring into a computer. I figured one approach would be to learn to play an instrument and some music theory - I never got beyond phonetically reading music and have given up on most attempts to play an instrument; but managed clarinet for about a year as a kid, so went for an Alto (yas280 'coz that was what was in the shop)... Picked on Randy Hunters begging sax course and have been at it, about an hour a day, since. I am having a great time... Even if my sense of time is rubbish!
Except I found it hard to really "get" some music ideas - like various chords, progression etc on the sax or on paper. I really am not musical! After some reading, web, YouTube, MOOCs etc. on theory, I bought a little Yammah keyboard which I'm now learning (half a year) as well - and use it to play out stuff I'm trying to understand. So all in all, bits of my musical brain are growing!
I love playing - I but not how I sound when recorded. Which is fine.
It amuses me when folks say that to play it's essential to listen, because my ability to listen was sooo poor! But it's improving now.
Well, that's my road in this world. Loving it. It's a privilege to be part of this, even if only marginally!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I started up last year. I played 5th grade through my first year in college. Now I'm 44. It took me awhile to get back into things but not too long. Last month was my 5th concert with the local Symphonic band and coming up to being with that group for a full year. Most everyone in the group is a music teacher, or retired music teacher so they all catch on to the music pretty fast. Sometimes with only one day of rehearsal, so for me it has been a bit challenging for some of the material. I'm still not 100% of what I used to be, but getting there. It is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ancient Greeks had the strong belief that artists should spend the first 30 years learning, the next 30 years travelling and getting to know life,
and the last 30 years creating art.
I guess nowadays the order of the first 60 years can be a bit intermingled as long as you start creating at 60...

I said it before, about my experience in a music bar where only people above 60 were present.
Those people had so much passion for life, so much energy and enthusiasm, so much warmth and easy going attitude.
I was astonished.
They really put the youngsters that are getting zombified in front of their smartphones getting overfilled with information and loose their souls in the name of competition,over consumerism and superficiality, to shame.
I consider the late bloomers and all those older musicians humanity's last hope...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,607 Posts
I began mid-50's, after I retired. I am very fortunate in that I don't have to either play or repair as a source of income. On my present course, I will be an accomplished player by age 117.

I do need to play in public more now that I'm old enough to not suffer from "what if I hit a wrong note." I was reading craigslist and saw that a Ska band was starting up nearby and was looking for a horn section. Two things kept me from looking into it. First, my teacher told me that he still has a restraining order against a "band member" recruited from craigslist. His advice was that musicians are only on craigslist because they lack the social skills to network as normal humans. Second, the only place with enough hair left for me to have dreadlocks is in my armpits.

Mark

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I was reading craigslist and saw that a Ska band was starting up nearby and was looking for a horn section. Two things kept me from looking into it. First, my teacher told me that he still has a restraining order against a "band member" recruited from craigslist. His advice was that musicians are only on craigslist because they lack the social skills to network as normal humans. Second, the only place with enough hair left for me to have dreadlocks is in my armpits.
There was a tremendous ska-punk band in the early 1980s, the English Beat (or just "the Beat" in the U.K.). The leader was 24 when the band's first album came out. The other lead vocalist was only 17. The band's saxophone player, named Saxa, was 50.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought an alto in 1980 and had a few lessons by a selftaught player. It was cheap and I probably should have had better teachers. Anyway we never found out that my alto was leaking and I fought it for about six months. Then I must admit... I sort of gave it up. Didn't sell the alto, though, just left it on a shelf. Now winding 36 years fast forward...
I retired and found the alto on the shelf. Picked it up and blowed it. It still sounded terribly. But before I would sell it, I wanted a tech's opinion. That was the turning point.
It was not me!!! It was the alto alltogether!!!
I had it fixed and started playing. Fell in love with it and bought a soprano (SML). I started training seriously and bought another SML (a beat-up tenor Gold Medal). A month ago I had saved enough money to have the tenor overhauled. Waoou....! what a sound!!
I am 65 now. My main ambition is to play every day until I die. My health is good sofar. I would welcome some playing mates but I can do fine without.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts